Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Thanks for all the shared knowledge @U_Stormcrow and @HeatherKellyB.

I need to correct my source for the "25 days" mentioned in my post. Below is a link to 2/15/22 comments from State Veterinarian Mike Martin, in SFN Today, which included this comment:

"We strongly encourage all poultry owners to follow strict biosecurity measures and recommend poultry owners keep their animals indoors for at least the next 25 days, which is the time frame these wild birds are anticipated to be migrating through the state."

So this was not an official update @HeatherKellyB. Not sure if the State Veterinarian has input on extending dates. Sorry for any confusion.

https://sfntoday.com/nc-commissioner-troxler/

Thanks for all the shared knowledge @U_Stormcrow and @HeatherKellyB.

I need to correct my source for the "25 days" mentioned in my post. Below is a link to 2/15/22 comments from State Veterinarian Mike Martin, in SFN Today, which included this comment:

"We strongly encourage all poultry owners to follow strict biosecurity measures and recommend poultry owners keep their animals indoors for at least the next 25 days, which is the time frame these wild birds are anticipated to be migrating through the state."

So this was not an official update @HeatherKellyB. Not sure if the State Veterinarian has input on extending dates. Sorry for any confusion.

https://sfntoday.com/nc-commissioner-troxler/
HUGE RESPECT for acknowledging even minor error and linking sources. HUGE, HUGE Respect. Being an honest broker is a standard I wish more would aspire to.

What are some good options for chickens that generally free range? I ordered two hoop coop greenhouses to get us started. Any better way to give them a quick covered run?
^^^ that. or building your own hoop tunnels. which is stake, bend, stake, tarp. anything else takes longer

I ordered a few waterproof 26x10 on wayfair. Hopefully this is over soon.
If it comes back south in the fall, I'm going to cull down to just my best birds, then cross my fingers, and move them to the grow out pen in the barn, with its attached run, then hope that fortune favors me. Nothing else I can do.

What are some good options for chickens that generally free range? I ordered two hoop coop greenhouses to get us started. Any better way to give them a quick covered run?

I'm working on wrapping wire around some old picnic pavillions that lost their covers to a hailstorm.

Wire around the sides, tarps over the top = "instant", if rather rednecked, runs.

I'm working on wrapping wire around some old picnic pavillions that lost their covers to a hailstorm.

Wire around the sides, tarps over the top = "instant", if rather rednecked, runs.
Nice! I think the main challenge is coming up with something quickly in a situation like this. Sounds like those would give you a good starting point to work with which saves a lot of time and expense.

Back
Top Bottom