Awesome Australorps -- Because "Medium" Doesn't Mean "Boring"

LOVE our blue Australorps!! Not a great picture but there are a couple of the blue pullets in this pic, as well as our black pullet. When I went looking for a picture of him, I realized that I don't have any pics of our blue roo, Truck. I will need to rectify that tomorrow! He's only about 16 weeks old, but already gorgeous... I'm hoping he doesn't become a psychopath, so far he's great.
IMG_20220924_164411799.jpg

LOVE our blue Australorps!! Not a great picture but there are a couple of the blue pullets in this pic, as well as our black pullet. When I went looking for a picture of him, I realized that I don't have any pics of our blue roo, Truck. I will need to rectify that tomorrow! He's only about 16 weeks old, but already gorgeous... I'm hoping he doesn't become a psychopath, so far he's great.
View attachment 3272923
Nice looking chicken yard!

View attachment 3272923

You've got a real chicken paradise there!

Handsome young fellow with a nice, broad chest. :)

Yes, nearly everything in the Australorp SOP is "medium" but that doesn't make these beauties average or ordinary or commonplace -- it makes them iconic and awesome!

Seriously, the Australorp perfectly fits my mental model of what a chicken ought to be. They have an alert, upright posture, but not unnaturally U-shaped like a Langshan. They're broad and solid, but not so round as to have that feathered basketball look of their distant-ancestor Orpingtons. They have large single combs that aren't so large as to fall over like a Leghorn's. Everything about them is in nice proportion without any extremes.

Their temperament is as moderate as their physical characteristics, being active and alert but not flighty or wild. They get along well in the flock. None of mine are cuddle-pets, because I don't raise them to be that way, but they're friendly and follow me all around as I tend the coop and run. I only have experience with about 8-10 Australorp cockerels and one mature rooster so far, but mine have all been polite and well-behaved and, while any breed has it's outliers, they don't have a reputation for human-aggression.

The hens are good layers, though some do go broody, and reliably provide medium-to-large, light-to-medium brown eggs starting on the early end of the average.

They're tolerant of heat, coming through my steamy North Carolina summers without problems and reputedly take cold equally well, though I have no direct experience of it.

Most Australorps are black, but blues are available from a number of US hatcheries and whites exist, though they are very rare.

IMO, they're as close to a perfect backyard bird as you can get. :)

Post your Australorp photos and stories here. It's time to give these awesome birds the recognition they deserve!

This is a little off topic but interestingly enough it is geographically relevant. I found a beer that I would classify as the most beeriest beer and I don’t mean that in a good way. Fosters is what I imagine beer would be in its purest form. Yes. Medium but not boring at all. I’d call it caveman beer if I was to give it a name. It is similar to how you describe australorps. Two interesting inventions of the Aussies. A beer that is the epitome of beer and a chicken that is the epitome of what it means to be a chicken.

Don’t misunderstand me. This totally not an endorsement of Foster’s beer. I’ll probably never drink it again. I prefer the flavored stuff or the watered down American stuff.

I have 2 australorps & think they are lovely! They are still young, under a year old but are at the top of my list. Would def consider having more.
My hen, Patricia, has the kindest eyes and is sweet as pumpkin pie. She has that "mother hen" personality within the flock. I always say if I were to hatch babies, I have my fingers crossed it's her to go broody. I know she'll make a good mama. Wish I had some better pictures of her, she shines so beautifully in the sun. This is an older picture of her, still young. But you can see she just has the sweetest little face! Such beautiful eyes. ❤️
View attachment 3269025

My rooster boy, Mayweather, is about perfect as far as doing his job. He is always alert and takes care of the ladies. He's not really people-friendly but that's okay, he's got a job to do and I'm fine with that. He's gorgeous, his green tail feathers shine in the sun. What a hunk! 🖤
View attachment 3269009
View attachment 3269028
Gorgeous birds, especially the roo!

Back
Top Bottom