Ayam Cemani Questions

Schmyle4me

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
I just hatched some Ayam Cemani chicks. I'm not sure if they need special food or not? Does anybody know?

Also, when I sell them what's the best age and price to do so? I don't want to keep them all. LOL

If it helps I'm in Portland, OR.

TIA

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on the hatch! :jumpy I have never kept this breed however I don't believe they need any special food other than the standard quality poultry feed. As for when to sell I am not sure. Let me tag a couple of members that might have answer for you...

@fluffycrow @cavemanrich

Welcome to BYC!

I also don't believe that they'd require anything special, but I've never kept the breed as well. As for pricing, it really depends on the quality your birds. Ayam cemani were once believed to be very rare. Now, they've become pretty common, and very few breeders focus on breeding good stock

Congratulations on the hatch!

I just hatched some Ayam Cemani chicks. I'm not sure if they need special food or not? Does anybody know?

Also, when I sell them what's the best age and price to do so? I don't want to keep them all. LOL

If it helps I'm in Portland, OR.

TIA
Your chicks should be able to eat normal chick feed.
To sale, you can sale chickens at any age. Spring to early summer is best for chick selling, mid summer is best for off heat chicks and fall to winter is best for grown birds. You could advertise your chicks as day olds and see if anyone wants chicks or sell them a little later if you are wanting to keep some back (this way you can keep the best quality, if you are breeding for the standard, or keep your favorite ones).
Price, this realy depends on how easily it is for people to get Ayams in your area. I would look on your local Craigslist to determine the price. Price also depends on the quality of your bids. High quality=higher price Lower quality=lower price.

Thank you everyone for the answers! I have reached out to a local breeder of Ayam Cemanis and have gotten more info than I can remember. LOL They are willing to work with me to help me breed a quality stock. The money is what it is. I'm more interested in bringing the beauty back by breeding the best stock I can!

Thank you everyone for the answers! I have reached out to a local breeder of Ayam Cemanis and have gotten more info than I can remember. LOL They are willing to work with me to help me breed a quality stock. The money is what it is. I'm more interested in bringing the beauty back by breeding the best stock I can!
Good luck! I used to breed Ayam's, they're a very fun and beautiful breed.
I'd like to follow a thread of you improving the breed, if you're willing to make it. :)

I used to sell my chicks for $25 ea, and they were typically sold within 3 days.

Glad to hearing want to improve your quality of birds!

Back
Top Bottom