Babies three weeks old old what’s next?

PolloPollito

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
So one of my mama chickens went broody and well you know what’s next if there’s a rooster around… chicks!!! Now almost 3 weeks old. The mom seems like she’s needing a break and space from them to roll in the dirt. I’m not sure what to do because I work in the day and if I let her out in the morning, that’s a long time to be separated I think. The daytime temperatures here are between 60 and 80° and the babies are in the small coop with a mama. Should I let her just roam free? And take the chance that I may not be able to be there to reunite her with the babies.
IMG_4321.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpeg
    IMG_4320.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 2
Should I let her just roam free? And take the chance that I may not be able to be there to reunite her with the babies.
No you are bound to break her broodiness.. let them out with her and let her introduce them to the flock before she's done with them while she may still offer some protection.

She will cut them loose on her own.. when she determines they no longer need to warm up under her and such.

Last edited:
So one of my mama chickens went broody and well you know what’s next if there’s a rooster around… chicks!!! Now almost 3 weeks old. The mom seems like she’s needing a break and space from them to roll in the dirt. I’m not sure what to do because I work in the day and if I let her out in the morning, that’s a long time to be separated I think. The daytime temperatures here are between 60 and 80° and the babies are in the small coop with a mama. Should I let her just roam free? And take the chance that I may not be able to be there to reunite her with the babies.
View attachment 3828141
These chicks are adorable, what kind are they? How big is your run and coop w these chicks and hen?

These chicks are adorable, what kind are they? How big is your run and coop w these chicks and hen?
Thank you!!! Well, we know who the daddy is… I only have one rooster. The dad is a gentle giant of a Blue Austrolorp… the moms are Ancona, speckled Sussex, Easter, egg, and Leghorn. The coop that they are in is pretty small with a ten square foot run…mama is used to 1000 square feet

No you are bound to break her broodiness.. let them out with her and let her introduce them to the flock before she's done with them while she may still offer some protection.

She will cut them loose on her own.. when she determines they no longer need to warm up inder her and such.
Ok thanks… do it right away?!

I let my broody hens raise the chicks with the flock from Day 1. My rooster leaves the chicks alone or may occasionally help Mama take care of them. For the most part the other hens leave them alone as long as the chicks do not invade their personal space. If the chicks invade the hens' personal space they might get pecked and sent back to Mama. Occasionally a hen will be more aggressive so Mama whips butt. Some people do have problems with other flock members but you have 1,000 square feet of room. That gives Mama a lot of room to work in. I think that room is important.

Some people do keep the broody and chicks separated for a few days, a few weeks, or even longer. I've had a couple of different broody hens wean their chicks at three weeks, leave them alone to deal with the flock. I've had some broody hens take care of their chicks until well over 2 months. You never know when she will wean them. Mine have been OK with the rest of the flock when she did wean them.

We all have different set-ups, flocks, and situations. What works for one does not always work for another. I want Mama to take care of integration for me. I'm not keeping them separated so long that the hen has to be integrated back into the flock and I have to integrate the chicks. To me it is so much easier of I let Mama handle that.

I let my broody hens raise the chicks with the flock from Day 1. My rooster leaves the chicks alone or may occasionally help Mama take care of them. For the most part the other hens leave them alone as long as the chicks do not invade their personal space. If the chicks invade the hens' personal space they might get pecked and sent back to Mama. Occasionally a hen will be more aggressive so Mama whips butt. Some people do have problems with other flock members but you have 1,000 square feet of room. That gives Mama a lot of room to work in. I think that room is important.

Some people do keep the broody and chicks separated for a few days, a few weeks, or even longer. I've had a couple of different broody hens wean their chicks at three weeks, leave them alone to deal with the flock. I've had some broody hens take care of their chicks until well over 2 months. You never know when she will wean them. Mine have been OK with the rest of the flock when she did wean them.

We all have different set-ups, flocks, and situations. What works for one does not always work for another. I want Mama to take care of integration for me. I'm not keeping them separated so long that the hen has to be integrated back into the flock and I have to integrate the chicks. To me it is so much easier of I let Mama handle that.
That was very thoughtful and complete… thanks

-A

Back
Top Bottom