baby chick has weird lump under vent

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
my runt baby chick usually has bits of poop stuck on its vent feathers after it poops so when I was cleaning it a few days ago, I felt a sort of hard boney thing under the vent.
for a few days, I was putting coconut oil on its bottom and massaging it so the lump could go away.
but today after I read on a few threads here about constipated chicks, I gave my baby chicken a small bath in hot water. I didn't have epsom salt but someone had said that they have used pink Himalayan salt in a bath, so I added that instead. nothing changed and the lump was still there. because its bottom was fully wet, I got a clearer view of the lump. its around a few mm below the vent and its hard and pointy-ish. Its discoloured and is like blue-purple.
is this a constipated chick? when I gave it a bath today, some poo was stuck on its vent feathers.
thanks for any help.

my runt baby chick usually has bits of poop stuck on its vent feathers after it poops so when I was cleaning it a few days ago, I felt a sort of hard boney thing under the vent.
for a few days, I was putting coconut oil on its bottom and massaging it so the lump could go away.
but today after I read on a few threads here about constipated chicks, I gave my baby chicken a small bath in hot water. I didn't have epsom salt but someone had said that they have used pink Himalayan salt in a bath, so I added that instead. nothing changed and the lump was still there. because its bottom was fully wet, I got a clearer view of the lump. its around a few mm below the vent and its hard and pointy-ish. Its discoloured and is like blue-purple.
is this a constipated chick? when I gave it a bath today, some poo was stuck on its vent feathers.
thanks for any help.
Can you post pictures? That may help

I'm really sorry I don't have pictures! I always forget! I might get a picture when im shutting them inside
Ok great, I had a hen with a lump that sounds close to what you are describing and never figured out what it was she lived a healthy life but got eaten by a coon just last month, the coon is so big it broke one of our live traps, we are still trying to get it!

but got eaten by a coon just last month,
aw man 😢
im sorry to hear that
Does the lump seem to cause the chick discomfort or pain and is it affecting the way she acts or her appetite
I don't actually know if it causes it discomfort or pain because shes a lot more lethargic and smaller than her older brother anyway so she generally isn't active. but she hasn't changed with her laziness and it doesn't seem like she's in pain. HOWEVER when I sometimes massage/ gently press on the lump she winces. her appetite has not been affected at all she still eats more than her mum and brother put together 😂

aw man 😢
im sorry to hear that

I don't actually know if it causes it discomfort or pain because shes a lot more lethargic and smaller than her older brother anyway so she generally isn't active. but she hasn't changed with her laziness and it doesn't seem like she's in pain. HOWEVER when I sometimes massage/ gently press on the lump she winces. her appetite has not been affected at all she still eats more than her mum and brother put together 😂
Ok has she pooped if she has that would rule out constipation if you don't know watch her for a while and she if she poops

thanks for any help.
thanks for any help.
I think that’s the belly button and umbilical cord. Don’t pull the cord or it can kill the chick. Mine had a bump too but they go away. Just keep the butt clean. Also a little bit of mothers vinegar in the water can help. Also grit is helpful. At 3 weeks you won’t recognize the babies. They grow soo fast. You’ll be fine. Good luck. Also call my pet chicken or talk to them online they’ll give good advice, for sure!

Back
Top Bottom