Baby Duck With Swollen Lump on Head Help

Little is Much

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Hello. So yesterday when we went to the feed store the manager stopped us and asked if we wanted a baby duck with a small problem. He only asked us because we have been known to take the ones that no one likes or the ones that will get culled just because they aren't perfect. We nurse them back to health then we keep them as pets. Anyway, we said yes we would Take it. So now I need some help. I've read different things about this already, but I would like some advice from someone who has maybe gone through this before. This little duck is between 5 and 7 days old, and I don't think he arrived at the store like this. He has a lump on his head above his right eye. It is soft and it doesn't seem to hurt him. he acts completely normal as in sending water every where and running around the brooder like ducks do. I thought it might be a tear duct thing, but since it is above his eye I'm not sure. What can I do for him. I don't really want to drain it (like with a needle) until I really need to. I read somewhere that I can use Veterycin or Terramycin ointment, Does anyone know anything about that? And before any one says anything there are no vets around here that do any thing close to this. Thanks

You might want to also post on the duck forum. I don't know about ducks, but a swollen bump around the eye usually means a respiratory disease with chickens. I suppose there is a chance that is could be air from a leaking air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) or a hematoma from an injury, but I would probably try treating it with antibiotics if I thought it was respiratory. As you may know diseases like MG (CRD) or coryza which cause these big swollen eyes are contagious, and can make carriers of your flock. I would probably take him back or cull him if it is respiratory. If it is a leaking air sac, you can try to deflate it with an 18 gauge needle, but please don't attempt it by yourself. If bloody serum comes out, that would be a hematoma.

Back
Top Bottom