Baby finch first aid (approx 2 weeks old, severe heat exposure)

impr3

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Lake County, CA
House finches love nesting in the U-beams that support the roof overhang around our metal barn. With the recent West Coast heatwave the chicks have been getting baked by the hot sun on the roof just inches over their heads which is also directly conducted into the metal U-beam that their nest is tucked into.

Several weeks ago we had a batch of four nest jumpers around noon on a 105F day. We drove them down to the nearest bird rescue, but we're in the middle of nowhere so it was a three hour round trip... At the time we were told the chicks appeared otherwise healthy and had likely fled the nest due to excessive heat.

Fast forward to today and it's another 105F day. Two more baby finches just jumped out of their nests... After a little googling, I'm rather hoping to return them to their parents this evening as today is the last hot day in the forecast and we'll be back to the 80s to 90s starting tomorrow. However, I'm not at all sure how to best care for them for the next six hours. I'm worried that they may be dehydrated as it's been so hot... I don't have any finch formula and don't see any good information on other foods/liquids that I could give them. They appear approx 2 weeks old based on looking at YouTube videos of finch chicks. Please share any recommendations that might help me to keep these two little friends alive for the next six-ish hours. Thank you!!

House finches love nesting in the U-beams that support the roof overhang around our metal barn. With the recent West Coast heatwave the chicks have been getting baked by the hot sun on the roof just inches over their heads which is also directly conducted into the metal U-beam that their nest is tucked into.

Several weeks ago we had a batch of four nest jumpers around noon on a 105F day. We drove them down to the nearest bird rescue, but we're in the middle of nowhere so it was a three hour round trip... At the time we were told the chicks appeared otherwise healthy and had likely fled the nest due to excessive heat.

Fast forward to today and it's another 105F day. Two more baby finches just jumped out of their nests... After a little googling, I'm rather hoping to return them to their parents this evening as today is the last hot day in the forecast and we'll be back to the 80s to 90s starting tomorrow. However, I'm not at all sure how to best care for them for the next six hours. I'm worried that they may be dehydrated as it's been so hot... I don't have any finch formula and don't see any good information on other foods/liquids that I could give them. They appear approx 2 weeks old based on looking at YouTube videos of finch chicks. Please share any recommendations that might help me to keep these two little friends alive for the next six-ish hours. Thank you!!
Don't feed them water. Give them some warm mushed oats or mushed chicken feed. Plain water will kill them since they don't know how to use it yet. So mix some cooked oats or chicken feed into mush and feed it to them. I can PM you some more info.

Don't feed them water. Give them some warm mushed oats or mushed chicken feed. Plain water will kill them since they don't know how to use it yet. So mix some cooked oats or chicken feed into mush and feed it to them. I can PM you some more info.
Thank you so much! I have oats. What consistency should I be aiming for? Also, I'm guessing it's better to cook the oats in water rather than milk given they aren't mammals?

Thank you so much! I have oats. What consistency should I be aiming for?
More of a watery not so thick. I would use a syringe to feed it to them. Make sure it's not to hot but warm.

If you post some pictures I can maybe tell how old they areโ˜บ๏ธ

Feed them till their crops are about full. Don't over feed them ๐Ÿฅฐ

More of a watery not so thick. I would use a syringe to feed it to them. Make sure it's not to hot but warm.
Ok, oat gruel made and cooling briefly in the fridge since it's boiling hot at the moment. Consistency is similar to pouring cream. I've found a 3cc syringe and washed it thoroughly. How much should I give them? How often should I feed them? Thank you so much!

Ok, oat gruel made and cooling briefly in the fridge since it's boiling hot at the moment. Consistency is similar to pouring cream. I've found a 3cc syringe and washed it thoroughly. How much should I give them? How often should I feed them? Thank you so much!
I would feed them when they look hungry but every couple hours or every 3 hours. If they still have food in their crops don't give them any more. I would feed them till their crop is almost full.

How much should I give them?
I would say about 1/2 tsp per bird maybe less or more. Do you have any pictures so I can see how big they are? That way I can tell you more or less of how much the need to eat.

Here's a photo of the two of them in their box and a close up of one for more detail. Just about to try feeding.

Attachments

• 20240712_133601.jpg
    20240712_133601.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240712_133629.jpg
    20240712_133629.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom