Baby quail brooder setup

To my knowledge, you've done everything you can do to help them. I hope you can hatch some more and not have as many deaths. If they were already exposed to a fungus of some sort, esp. Aspergillus, I don't think there is much you can do.

If the feed smells fresh and isn't beyond the expiration date, it probably isn't the feed. I'm sorry I can't do more to help!
Yep feed is pretty fresh according to the expiration date and I even like to smell it often as it smells delicious but thought maybe there's something in it that I can't see/smell, it's probably the dirt that did it all what a dumb mistake didn't think it would do all that as I've raised baby chickens on dirt since day 1 before and they did great : ( it's my first batch of quails hope at least some survive this
You've been a great help already appreciate it!

Is there anyway the sugar water could be part of the problem?
They give sugar water first day for baby chickens as a boost and to help prevent pasty butt to my knowledge hence why I did the same with baby quails, not sure it would've caused this but would love to hear experts opinions on this one!

Sugar water (if sole source of fresh water for more than a day or two) might contribute to dehydration or bacterial overgrowth. I’m not sure there’s a reason to offer it to quail chicks. If you have a sick/lethargic/not eating bird a dose might help off set low blood sugar and perk it up but offering it as the sole source of water to newly hatched quail probably isn’t helpful and may be detrimental. The chick starter has lower protein than recommended but the calories from carbs should be fine, they’ll grow slower but won’t starve.

Were there ever any chickens living in the same spot? I believe there’s some diseases that chickens can spread to quail.

To the quail experts: at what age can you start feeding quail boiled eggs for extra protein?

Yep I had baby chicks in the same brooder
Were there ever any chickens living in the same spot? I believe there’s some diseases that chickens can spread to quail.

To the quail experts: at what age can you start feeding quail boiled eggs for extra protein?
Yep I raised baby chicks in there before

Last edited:
Hey again @Jener8or

I can't seem to figure what's wrong with them they keep pushing each others to the wall, is the temp too low or too hot? It says it's only 32c I even built a porch for them to come out if they're too hot so not sure what's wrong with the setup, please help!

Note: I only lost one today compared to 5 yesterday, however they just don't seem comfortable, 2 of them probably gonna die soon..

Attachments

• IMG_20240930_122127.jpg
    IMG_20240930_122127.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240930_123804.jpg
    IMG_20240930_123804.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 2
They're all doing fine, no deaths!
However I can't figure when should I turn off the lights for them during the night and early morning it's very cold i can't turn off the bulbs, Is it had to just leave the bulb on 24/7?

Back
Top Bottom