bacteria infection on my toe

Jerzeyjudy

Hatching
Oct 11, 2024
I volunteer on a small farm that has chickens, ducks an geese that free range during the day. I empty the kiddie pools that they they take a swim and bathe. I dump the water on the grass. I was not wearing protective water proof shoes and I got a bacterial infection, possibly from a small cut in my great toe. The toe skin was reddend, a blister formed. I was treated with antibiotics. After that peeled and healed, it happened in the other great toe. More antibiotics. Could this have happened from the dirty water from the pool, getting feet wet, and possible small cut on toe? I now wear long rubber gloves and water proof gloves.

first, let me say welcome , hello and nice to meet you!
I think it’s possible, especially if the water in the pool had been sitting for more than 24 hours, and perhaps not all the ducks and geese are healthy? I don’t know, but I have been dumping baby pools that geese and ducks swimming every day for the last 9 + years and in the summer I always wear crocs (with holes in them ) or flip-flops. I feel really hot if my feet are in socks and shoes, when it’s hot out. and I have never had a problem with that. perhaps your immune system was weakened by something and you became susceptible? Especially since you had a cut on your foot. I think if I had a cut on my foot, I would probably not wear the crocs or flip-flops until it healed because the water does get on my hands. and feet. Even splashed in my face at times. I don’t recall having any cuts on my feet in a long, long time, though. Sometimes in the winter, my fingers crack around the nails and I bandaged them and I do wear gloves but when it’s really cold out like that, I don’t give my birds pools to swim anyway ,, just to drink buckets

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

You know, sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I make sure these chickens all eat nutritionally and often give them a boost with vitamin water or probiotics, but can't remember the last time I took a multivitamin. I think we need to take as good of care of ourselves as we do our poultry! I'm not insinuating that you got these infections because of lack of vitamins, just saying they do help us fight things just like they do for our chickens. :hugs Lord knows I don't eat the healthiest, but they sure do!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Dirty water from any source can infect a cut or opening in the skin. The skin is a barrier protecting your internal tissue from infection, you probably didn't know you had a break in the skin somewhere.

Welcome to our community!

Well that's a bummer! Both toes, too! I run around all the time barefooted, so it's a miracle I haven't had the same fate or gotten parasites of some sort or anything. Water is definitely a possible contributor, that's why they don't want you getting any lacerations or sutures wet after an injury or surgery. I do hope your toes stay good from here on out! Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom