Balding & lethargic

Chickeemariee

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
My barred rock (approx 2.5 years old) recently stopped laying and the top of her head started balding. Up until yesterday she was acting normal but yesterday morning when I went to check on them I noticed she was moving slower than usual and her comb was turning purple. Still eating a little but not as much as she usually does, drinking water normally. Still foraging around when I let them fee range. Her comb is pretty normal looking today but still a hint of purple. she is still lethargic and looks dull for lack of a better term. I’m wondering if it could be molt but I have checked her all over for mites and don’t see any signs of any, no scabs or anything either. They have red pepper flakes and garlic in their diet regularly and are wormed routinely. i haven’t been able to see her poop so hard to confirm which is hers but there are some watery poops in the run. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpeg
    IMG_0951.jpeg
    640.8 KB · Views: 36
My barred rock (approx 2.5 years old) recently stopped laying and the top of her head started balding. Up until yesterday she was acting normal but yesterday morning when I went to check on them I noticed she was moving slower than usual and her comb was turning purple. Still eating a little but not as much as she usually does, drinking water normally. Still foraging around when I let them fee range. Her comb is pretty normal looking today but still a hint of purple. she is still lethargic and looks dull for lack of a better term. I’m wondering if it could be molt but I have checked her all over for mites and don’t see any signs of any, no scabs or anything either. They have red pepper flakes and garlic in their diet regularly and are wormed routinely. i haven’t been able to see her poop so hard to confirm which is hers but there are some watery poops in the run. Any suggestions?
I don’t have any roosters & live in Hawaii if that changes anything!

Feather loss looks like someone is plucking the back of her head.

When was her last egg? If she's not laid an egg and should have, then get Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate+D3 tablet daily for 5 days, just pop the tablet right into the beak and let her swallow.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Feather loss looks like someone is plucking the back of her head.

When was her last egg? If she's not laid an egg and should have, then get Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate+D3 tablet daily for 5 days, just pop the tablet right into the beak and let her swallow.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She’s top of the pecking order and none of my chickens are aggressive to each other at all-to the point that I want more chickens but don’t know if I should because this has been the most peaceful flock dynamic I’ve ever had 😅
Last egg was over a week ago, she was laying every other to every three days before that.
Thank you so much for the advice!! I have never had to use that before but I’ve had a bottle on hand just in case so I’ll start that in the morning!
Also crop has been emptying and feeling normal!

She’s top of the pecking order and none of my chickens are aggressive to each other at all-to the point that I want more chickens but don’t know if I should because this has been the most peaceful flock dynamic I’ve ever had 😅
Last egg was over a week ago, she was laying every other to every three days before that.
Thank you so much for the advice!! I have never had to use that before but I’ve had a bottle on hand just in case so I’ll start that in the morning!
Also crop has been emptying and feeling normal!
Doesn't matter what position she's in, often picking happens during roosting. Fair game at night in the dark LOL

Doesn't matter what position she's in, often picking happens during roosting. Fair game at night in the dark LOL
I had no idea about that thank you!
This morning I found round worms in the coop poop so thinking that may be the culprit. Starting them all on fenbendazole now.

Glad you were able to see the worms and start medication.
Do you need help with dosing for Fenbendazole?
I am dosing 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for the flock with dumping old water and refreshing with new every morning. Was thinkint of doing this for 5 days. Any other suggestions?

I am dosing 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for the flock with dumping old water and refreshing with new every morning. Was thinkint of doing this for 5 days. Any other suggestions?
Fenbendazole is dosed by weight.
If you are using Safeguard Goat Dewormer, it's better to direct oral dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight once, then repeat in 10 days to treat Roundworms ONLY. Safeguard Goat dewormer settles out of the water.

Fenbendazole is dosed by weight.
If you are using Safeguard Goat Dewormer, it's better to direct oral dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight once, then repeat in 10 days to treat Roundworms ONLY. Safeguard Goat dewormer settles out of the water.
I syringed her her own dose and have a little in the water to keep the flock from getting it. Her crop is empty in the morning but I’m worried she’s not eating enough throughout the day. Any suggestions on how to get her some extra nutrients? She picks around when they freerange but doesn’t seem interested in feed. I can’t let them free range all day though because I leave for work in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom