Barred Rock gender - 4 weeks old

wildgreen

Chirping
Apr 18, 2024
Texas Hill Country
I’ve heard that auto-sexing with Barred Rock chicks is about 80% accurate. This little one has had me wondering pretty much since week one whether it’s a pullet or cockerel based on the comb and wattles alone. Other than the comb and wattles I’m not really sure what to go off of at this point. Does the barring give any clues this early on? Or is it just too early to tell?

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3513.jpeg
    IMG_3513.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 30
Where was the chick purchased from? Store, hatchery, backyard breeder? Its legs are pinky white instead of yellow, so it's not a pure barred rock.
Oh oops! I didn’t even consider that. I got it from a local feed store which sources their chicks from Ideal Poultry. They post a list of chicks they get for the week so it SHOULD be one of these breeds in the photos from the week prior and the week I purchased it…it was in the Barred Rock bin of course!

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpeg
    IMG_3519.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3520.png
    IMG_3520.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Oh oops! I didn’t even consider that. I got it from a local feed store which sources their chicks from Ideal Poultry. They post a list of chicks they get for the week so it’s one of these breeds in the photo…it was in the Barred Rock bin of course!
To me it looks like it's either an early developing cuckoo Marans pullet, or else an olive egger cockerel. I'd just wait and see a bit, watch to see if the comb and wattles keep growing and if they get color soon.

Oh oops! I didn’t even consider that. I got it from a local feed store which sources their chicks from Ideal Poultry. They post a list of chicks they get for the week so it SHOULD be one of these breeds in the photos from the week prior and the week I purchased it…it was in the Barred Rock bin of course!
My bet is it's a leftover olive egger cockerel. Hopefully other posters will give their opinions, too.

Back
Top Bottom