beef fat for chickens

snowflake

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Belding Michigan
So, we went to the store and they had a super wed. sale on new york strips, like with every good deal there is a hitch and they were a bit fatty. off of 30 some # I cut off 5# of fat and plan to freeze it and feed it to the chick's this winter when they need a little extra to keep warm. Mi. winters can be cold. question is would you render it down and fill with seed or just throw as is in the run.
big_smile.png

If you don't render it, it freezes pretty hard. Even the frozen stuff gets pretty hard.
Of course, if they eat it all before it freezes, no problem.
smile.png

I mix sunflower seeds in with rendered fat and give it to the girls during the winter.

I don't really think about it that much. I just cut it up so that everyone gets a piece (vs. one bird running off with the whole chunk!) and throw it out with the the other kitchen scraps. I also save all of the meat scraps, raw and cooked, from the kitchen and feed that as well. My girls don't get much in the way of bugs from sagebrush in their run. So I try to supplement their "animal protein" with plenty of meat scraps, including fat.

Our chickens love it when we have either strip or ribeye steak, my DW is especially diligent at cutting off the fat. We usually cut it into small pieces just to make sure not only a few get it all.

another thing that they love and is good energy in the winter is suet you can go to the butcher and many GIVE IT AWAY youll get like A 10 POUND LUMP RUN A WIRE THROUGH IT AND HANG IT IN THE COOP THEY LOVE IT!!!!

oh yeah! This is great news. This year's beef butchering - I asked for any waste fat trimmings and got 20 lbs or so that went in the freezer. When it gets cold enough to heat up the kitchen, I planned on making bird suet for the wild birds, but forget that! My hens will get it now.

So, we went to the store and they had a super wed. sale on new york strips, like with every good deal there is a hitch and they were a bit fatty. off of 30 some # I cut off 5# of fat and plan to freeze it and feed it to the chick's this winter when they need a little extra to keep warm. Mi. winters can be cold. question is would you render it down and fill with seed or just throw as is in the run.
big_smile.png
Throw it in the run, people forget chickens are omnivores, if a mouse, frog snake ,even squirrels make the mistake of entering the chicken run they are done for. My chickens are vicious and will eat whatever to the bone.

Back
Top Bottom