2037C36D-C582-4EBC-BAF4-20694100B762.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CF446F27-6BAA-4922-B4B0-FCB85129462A.jpeg
    CF446F27-6BAA-4922-B4B0-FCB85129462A.jpeg
    925.2 KB · Views: 3
  • E6034BB4-FFF0-4765-A3CE-5133D8556D2C.jpeg
    E6034BB4-FFF0-4765-A3CE-5133D8556D2C.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 3
I have a RIR bantam and a rosecomb black that might rivel a serama. They are so tiny. Miss Raven and Sherri.

Getting Starlena a chicken encyclopedia and a flock journal. She's going to help build their pen after I do the sand work to keep it from flooding in a hard rain. Then I'm ordering eggs and we are hatching out around 15(I hope, they will be from Texas). She's going to learn how to pick good birds to keep. Three to five pullets and one or two cockerels. Then we sell the rest.

We are going to the Bluebonnet Classic again this year. It's January 6th.🥰

I have a RIR bantam and a rosecomb black that might rivel a serama. They are so tiny. Miss Raven and Sherri.

Getting Starlena a chicken encyclopedia and a flock journal. She's going to help build their pen after I do the sand work to keep it from flooding in a hard rain. Then I'm ordering eggs and we are hatching out around 15(I hope, they will be from Texas). She's going to learn how to pick good birds to keep. Three to five pullets and one or two cockerels. Then we sell the rest.

We are going to the Bluebonnet Classic again this year. It's January 6th.🥰
Sounds like a great start! Hope you share pictures from the Bluebonnet and your birdies! 😍

But isn’t work at least consistent and not something where you have to learn something new every time?
Or if you are a female and select a degree in biology you might spend the first half of your “career” life working temporary jobs and shifting gears every 6 months and then finding a new venue every 3-4 years. And sweating about where you might move, if you can take the chickens or afford them… and then kids come along and life comes crashing down. Better like where you are at when you bring them into the picture because kids can really trap you wherever you happen to be. I think it is reasonable to say that most or all of your career aspirations have to be put on hold for at least the first two years of each one of their lives (especially now that childcare is so expensive- so make sure you already make a lot of money so you can afford a nanny or live close to some family willing to help out if you want to keep working - or that you have a partner/spouse who can keep working and float you financially and is okay with you not working). And they throw all kinds of emotional and mental challenges at you that nothing can prepare you for…somebody in the household will need to have some significant work schedule changes so kids can be shuttled to activities/school/ appointments/daycare (or a grandparent’s house if you’re super lucky). And that typically falls on the person who makes the least money in the house (or a nanny), and said person might have to stop career track and either get lower-paying job they didn’t go to school for just for the schedule. And that requires all new skills and learning on the fly. Or it might require said person to give up job entirely.

I am extremely grateful that I have been able to keep my chickens through two children. I am sad I had to give up my career track. I adore my children. My life has been a whirlwind of change, challenge, and bittersweet since college, and not everyone will have a life like mine. The stakes are higher than bad grades. It is conceivable that you could make life more predictable and comfortable than college… and it is nice not having to make certain grades. And you don’t have to keep challenging your mind to consider new concepts, but I hope you do. I think that is the one skill college gave to me that I have used to better my outcome in every life change.

Through it all I am so lucky that I still have chickens for my happy place. And these are my chickens… with some lines that have been evolving with me for the last 23 years. I love my d’Anvers and Watermaals. And my kids love them, too.

Back
Top Bottom