best foraging chicken breed

In our flock the best foragers with great large (size) egg production are Anconas, Black Minorcas, Marans, Delawares, Black Australorps. Some of our other great foragers are the Rose Comb Brown Leghorn, Indian Games/Dark Cornish, Black Langshan, White Laced Red Cornish, and Blue Andalusian. These 5 do not go for any feed. They go out and forage no matter the weather. Some will accept fodder. They all come in at night. They also take really good care of themselves and are still friendly.

That is exactly why I keep the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns.I really do not care much for all white birds. I think living in Perdue country has messed me up.

Perdue County? As in Perdue Chickens?

They would have white birds for meat, of course. There are many varieties of chickens that are all white, such as the White Plymouth Rock or Rhode Island White, and they are great chickens. And white chickens are preferred for meat because when the feathers are plucked it leaves a cleaner looking bird.

But I understand why you would like the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns. How well do they lay eggs?

Perdue County? As in Perdue Chickens?

They would have white birds for meat, of course. There are many varieties of chickens that are all white, such as the White Plymouth Rock or Rhode Island White, and they are great chickens. And white chickens are preferred for meat because when the feathers are plucked it leaves a cleaner looking bird.

But I understand why you would like the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns. How well do they lay eggs?
No. Perdue Country. Meaning I live on the Eastern Shore of MD where Frank Perdue got his start. His legacy and production are still huge around here. We have plenty of large and small Perdue farm around here. On their truck are the Cornish crosses. Everyone around here loves the White Leghorn. It is used in many advertisements and logos around here. Most people around here do not venture to far out of the box for backyard flocks. Barred rocks excite many and everyone has to own a Rhode Island Red. Lol. Plus the Perdue chickens do not look healthy or clean when you see them. They always look horrible. That is enough for me to stay away from any white bird.

My mother lives to attack me about having to clean my birds before fall harvest. I do not have white ones, so she is always worried that my birds will look funny after dressing and placing it in the freezer. My husband also gets grossed out by seeing the white chickens too, so it is easier when I do not have to explain to him why I do not care for them.

I prefer Langshan, Dorking, Houdan, Dark Cornish, Buckeye, and sometimes Delaware for meat. Houdans may look small, but are great fryers. They also have tiny bones, so they are mostly meat with no fat under the skin.

Rose combs lay very well. 5-7 a week. My Dad was telling me that the ones that lay 7 a week do not live long or are only good for 2 years. Our old girls averaged 6. My mom is the white leghorn fan. Sometimes I think they would lay more than once a day. Biologically it sound impossible, but she had the leghorns, and silkies. There would always be an extra mystery egg or two from the leghorns a day.4 girls and 5-6 eggs a day. Something wasn't right, but they were loved.

Rose combs lay very well. 5-7 a week. My Dad was telling me that the ones that lay 7 a week do not live long or are only good for 2 years. Our old girls averaged 6. My mom is the white leghorn fan. Sometimes I think they would lay more than once a day. Biologically it sound impossible, but she had the leghorns, and silkies. There would always be an extra mystery egg or two from the leghorns a day.4 girls and 5-6 eggs a day. Something wasn't right, but they were loved.

The world record for chicken laying was set in 1979 by a White Leghorn that laid 371 eggs in 364 days.

So a hen can lay more than one egg a day, but just barely.

My Black Jersey Giants are very strong foragers. They are big enough to really scratch of the earth, they do not care to go over any fences and so are easy to manage while ranging and are especially cold hearty so can get out and about during the winter months. They are not prolific layers but again, winter does not slow down their production cycle so I consider these characteristics to be essential in a breed that is going to foraging for the majority of their diet.

I'm really leaning towards Leghorns. Although this year I started White Rocks so go figure! But one of my oldest "survivors" is a wary Brown Leghorn that lays infrequently now but had been a very consistent year round layer and has survived several predator attacks.

I have tried Welsummers twice but the birds seem dumb. and always get eaten by predators. I just lost my last one a few days ago.

Another good breed for me has been Americana/Easter Eggers and their offspring. Rugged, good layers and have not lost one yet. The roosters are always super alert and the hens take to the trees immediately if anything is around.

Back
Top Bottom