Best Hatchery for Partridge Cochins?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
I've been looking for partridge cochins and while I tried my luck at hatching eggs from Meyer's, they all ended up not making it past day 8 of incubation. I'm still deciding, but I think it'd be better to just order chicks instead of trying to hatch eggs again. So, any hatchery suggestions?

I've been looking for partridge cochins and while I tried my luck at hatching eggs from Meyer's, they all ended up not making it past day 8 of incubation. I'm still deciding, but I think it'd be better to just order chicks instead of trying to hatch eggs again. So, any hatchery suggestions?
Hatching eggs is ALWAYS a bumm deal (comparatively).. Order chicks with a LIVE guarantee!

I like the partridge Rock myself..

Between Meyer's and Ideal.. I think Meyer's *might* be a TAD bit better quality wise.. I have and would order from either though!

Good luck! :fl

Hatching eggs is ALWAYS a bumm deal (comparatively).. Order chicks with a LIVE guarantee!

I like the partridge Rock myself..

Between Meyer's and Ideal.. I think Meyer's *might* be a TAD bit better quality wise.. I have and would order from either though!

Good luck! :fl
Do you know if any pictures of their adult birds shows up on ideal’s website? When I go to look, all I see is a picture of a partridge cochin chick. Is there something wrong on my end?

But, yeah, I knew hatching eggs was a gamble. Didn’t think all of them would be a loss, though. I thought about trying Meyer’s hatching eggs again but actually picking them up myself this time

Do you know if any pictures of their adult birds shows up on ideal’s website? When I go to look, all I see is a picture of a partridge cochin chick. Is there something wrong on my end?
There's nothing wrong on your end.. it's very common for hatcheries to use photos of show winning stock that doesn't even belong to them, often with disclosure. while some will show their stock.. See the main issue here being.. (if I'm not mistaken) they likely don't even keep their own birds, but have smaller, "contract flocks".. and are indeed, JUST a hatchery.

Hatching eggs are just overpriced compared to the cost of a live, sexed chick.. So many factors with incubation.. you say day 8.. check out possible causes for quitting according to which day starting around page 52 in the following link..

Incubation guide

Best wishes, whichever route you try! :fl

All things being equal I’d order from the hatchery closest to you...

Cackle Hatchery has them also just as an fyi
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/partridge-cochin-standard-chicken/

There's nothing wrong on your end.. it's very common for hatcheries to use photos of show winning stock that doesn't even belong to them, often with disclosure. while some will show their stock.. See the main issue here being.. (if I'm not mistaken) they likely don't even keep their own birds, but have smaller, "contract flocks".. and are indeed, JUST a hatchery.

Hatching eggs are just overpriced compared to the cost of a live, sexed chick.. So many factors with incubation.. you say day 8.. check out possible causes for quitting according to which day starting around page 52 in the following link..

Incubation guide

Best wishes, whichever route you try! :fl
Oh, i think I know what went wrong with my hatching eggs. Travel + using a borrowed 14 year old incubator that decided quit working right and went up to 105f before dropping down to 95f for an unknown amount of time ( I was at work at the time ) ...I also don’t think I let them settle long enough ( didn’t realize it was recommended to not turn them for 3 days in the incubator ). The borrowed incubator was tossed and I bought one of my own, but the damage had already been done. Getting hatching eggs still seems like the cheapest option. The problem I’m running into is I only want 2 chicks and that doesn’t meet the minimum for a lot of hatcheries. I tried seeing if I could add them to an existing order I have, but they aren’t available at the same time. Very frustrating, honestly. I can get hatching eggs and they’ll be available when I pick up a chick order from Meyer’s. I also tried seeing if there was anyone that had any in my state’s thread but had no response.

shame about the subterfuge with the pictures. You’d think they’d end up with more business if they advertise what they sell.

Back
Top Bottom