Best water soluble antibiotic for respiratory illness

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
I have two hens who have a respiratory illness. I've separated them and would like to try to save them. I see that at the local Coop they have several types if water soluble antibiotics suitable for poultry. Is there one type or brand that BYCers recommend over others? All input welcome. Thanks.

Tylan Soluble Powder probably would be best, but it is expensive--around $55. Dosage is 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water for 5 days. Oxytetracycline and erythromycin are very good, and are sold under various brand names. Gallimycin is a brand of erythromycin. Those are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Tylan. Some people will buy Tylan50injectable, and give it orally (not in the water,) although it is best as an injection.

Last edited:
Well, I called my vet and she recommend powdered tetracycline. So that's what I went out and bought. Now to figure out how to dose it... Thank you so much for your response!

Duramycin10 or tetracycline dosage is 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water. It works better with some vitamin C and flavoring, so if you could substitute some cranberry or other juice with vitamin C, it may be better absorbed and taste better--don't use too much.

Should they only have the water with antibiotics 24/7 for the 7 days. Or do you mix a gallon and after they drink that they get normal water for the rest of the day until the next day?

Duramycin10 or tetracycline dosage is 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water. It works better with some vitamin C and flavoring, so if you could substitute some cranberry or other juice with vitamin C, it may be better absorbed and taste better--don't use too much.
would this be a good dose for 31 2 week old meatbirds?

Back
Top Bottom