Best/Worst types of bedding

last year, I used wood shavings from tractor supply. I only had 2 ducks but boy was it a mess!! I had to change the bedding at least twice a day!! This year, as I was thinking on what to use, I looked over at the pad I keep under the front of my African greys cage, the same thing that I keep under the litterbox because my fat cat goes in, but sticks his butt out the door and uses it outside the litterbox!! I found a place on ebay that has used ones. The name is "chux" and they have them listed under puppy pads or something. These kind are washable. I just bought 13 more tonight for $49 and change. Other places to get used ones at is Nursing homes or funeral homes. The bottom is waterproof and they soak up excellent! Plus there are not any places on them for the babies to snag their feet!
I love this idea; am definitely keeping an eye out for used pads. Thanks!

Do you guys and gals use your old bedding in garden beds and such? Do you use it right away or leave it in a composting pile for awhile?
We only have a couple ducks. I pick out the poopy bits of straw and dump it on the compost pile or a couple of worm beds I have in the yard. When I put it on garden beds, slugs seem to think it's a new place to live and eat up the plants. So I stopped doing that in the veggie garden. But it never hurt any plants as far as burning them or causing disease. If it's used as mulch for plants that slugs won't eat, it's does as good as shredded bark at water retention. Duck straw is really good at attracting worms, too.

In the brooder (5' x 5'), I use a mix of pine shavings and the pellets. I had 8 muscovy poop machines in there and all I had to do was scoop out the worse parts and fluff the rest. Did heavy cleanings twice a week and worked well.

In the coop, just pine shavings turned over daily, deep litter method with shavings in winter also turned daily. I have straw in their run which I just add to 2 to 3 times a week, it breaks down and no smell, not even near their pool. They free range during the day.

we use hay for our ducklings and we are gonna keep using it for so,yea i reccomend hay
thumbsup.gif

Well if you get it for free that is different lol Hay is expensive and wasteful as bedding, that would not be an option here. Besides, i have 14 ducks huge mess difference than two lol We all have to find what works for us of coarse, so many variables.
smile.png

I disagree about it being wasteful. How is it wasteful? I said in my post only have two ducks so yes it does make a difference, but i is not wasteful in my opinion. I think it is beneficial to them and yes we each have our own opinions.

I use the flake pine shaving and I really like them, when I first started with ducks 9yrs ago, I used straw and oh my gosh so nasty, now since I use deep litter, I just go in each day scoop off the poo fluff with pitch fork and thats it. Very easy to take care of.

Last edited:
I disagree about it being wasteful. How is it wasteful? I said in my post only have two ducks so yes it does make a difference, but i is not wasteful in my opinion. I think it is beneficial to them and yes we each have our own opinions.

Because ducks don't really consume hay, they nibble and eat a bit but their droppings will fowl(sorry lol) the majority of it, it's used as a food for my horses, way to costly to toss away(compost etc) around here people are struggling to get hay to feed animals the use of it as bedding would be illogical. All that said, there are variables that is why i said it would not an an option here, to each is own.

Last edited:
I agree that hay is useful. We have ducklings around 1 month old and it is very useful.
thumbsup.gif
We use the hay to help our plants. (I see it as light-weight mulch)

IT IS VERY USEFUL!!!
thumbsup.gif

i use straw, my ducks don't have water in the night houses, so it works the best, i use about 20 square bales a year , i have almost 20 ducks now, still works great

Back
Top Bottom