BIG NEWS: Official Book Of BYC - Raising Chickens For Dummies

I just finished reading it.

I sure wish this book was out a year and a half ago, when I first got the chickens. I bought a number of books before we started, but none were aimed specifically at the backyard bird keeper.

This is the best written chicken book I have read.

It answers all of the questions I have about feed, worming, eggs... and it even has a section devoted to dispelling Chicken Myths! Thank you, thank you, Rob and Kim, for the funny blurb on chickens in gardens (my pet peeve: gardening magazines that extoll the virtues of the chicken in the garden).

I have never read a book in the "Dummies" series before, but if this book is any indicator of the quality of the others, I will begin to read them.

Well, one can never have too many books, right?!?!?!?
I need all the help with my chickens I can get, love books, hae a few "Dummis" books and really like them. So this one is a no brainer - will have to log on to Amazon, the local bookstore does not have it

Wow Renee, that was quite the review! Any chance you'll copy / paste that into Amazon?
big_smile.png

Glad you liked the book and found it helpful! Yup, chickens are great for making fertilizer, for eating weeds and tilling up the soil, but you definitely don't want them spending their time in there when you're seeds are planted, your sprouts are coming up, or when your plants have leaves.
wink.png

I got the book and it is great. Except for the section on raising meat chickens. If you follow the advice given in the book (light 24 hours/feed 24 hours) you are going to have a LOT of losses with Cornish X. I called Foster Farms, a large commercial broiler producer and they said they don't have lights on their chickens 24/7 either. Just natural light.

Hmm, I think I recognize that playhouse-style coop.

Rob, I already posted a review on Amazon.com, but what I wrote here is better. I'm usually only good for about five sentences, then it's all downhill.

I'll cut and paste this review over the old one.

Back
Top Bottom