Black Australorp sex confusion

RCantu

Hatching
Jun 29, 2024
Hello! I’m new to chickens and ready to learn because of this one chicken. Long story short, I’m in the middle of the country and it just showed up, now I have a chicken. We’ve decided to become chicken people and here I am. We’ve had it a week to the day, I’m almost done with a coop and preparing to buy 2-3 pullets asap. I’ve done a ton of research, doing my best, but I believe I have a young, beautiful black Australorp although a brown bordered eye instead of black(?). I swear the colors have gotten brighter since I got it. I’m too new at this to tell if I have a rooster or hen. I understand the differences that they’re supposed to have in their hackle and saddle feathers, but unless it’s a fully mature bird I get very confused with feather shapes. What do y’all think?
IMG_3613.jpeg
IMG_3614.jpeg
IMG_3616.jpeg

Is it my inexperience or are the saddle feathers somewhat round AND pointed? Or are rounded feathers always much more obvious? Am I making sense?

Well I guess we have a rooster! I haven’t looked into this scenario yet, but now I need to see how to go about introducing pullets to this guy. Hopefully it’s not a big deal. Thank y’all for the help. This is a valuable website for chicken research!

Back
Top Bottom