Black Eyed Susan?

eggsited chickens

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
SW Michigan
I just realized I have black eyed susans in my chicken run. I'm wondering if I ought to dig it out or just leave it. Suggestions? Is it safe, I guess is the real question.

Black-Eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy, Rudbeckia . . . right?

Neither Cornell, Purdue, nor UCDavis have it on their toxic plant lists.

The Canadian Poisonous Plant Information has a wild Black-Eyed Susan listed, Rudbeckia laciniata. It does, however, say: "Experiments on sheep and swine have shown that some symptoms of toxicity can occur, although animals generally refuse to eat the unpalatable plants. Animal poisoning by this plant should be considered unlikely . . ."

I would say get it out of their pen. Unless they've got nothing else to peck at, I wouldn't worry much about it. But, if they are bored and it is the only thing there . . .

Steve

edited: I'm going to put this in here, also. The Canadian Poisonous Plants Info has Rudbeckia serotina , as well. Once again, it is found toxic but "Poisoning from this plant plant is unlikely." (I like this Canadian government site. They don't just say "toxic" and let it go at that. But, we've got to use some judgment.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom