Black Sumatra sexing, so confused ... Can an expert help?

DragonflyAcres

Chirping
Jul 30, 2024
I've got a cute little Black Sumatra chick named Lucky. I cannot figure out when/how a Black Sumatra pullet/cockerel determination is made. Do I have to wait until it lays an egg, or crows? When do black sumatras even begin crowing? I know they get giant tails eventually but that takes a loooooong time, right? What's the average age when you can get a good guess if it's male or female? What are the first clues to look for? I can find so little info on this breed! Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_183805378.jpg
    IMG_20240819_183805378.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 25
Sumatra are one of the very hardest breeds to sex.
Your best bet is to examine the shape of the hackle and saddle feathers when those come in. Lucky's neck is still all down, so it's too soon to say. It also helps to have chicks of the same breed and age to compare to. When Lucky's neck feathers come in, try to get a good picture with something under a layer of feathers, like your hand, that would help us see the shape. Sometimes the first set of feathers aren't distinguishable enough to say, usually by the 3rd set it's noticeable. Chicks go through 5-6 changes of clothes before they have their adult wardrobe.
Oh, and don't pay much attention to the tail. In some breeds, the pullets get longer tails initially, and the cockerels catch up then surpass them later.

Sumatra are one of the very hardest breeds to sex.
Your best bet is to examine the shape of the hackle and saddle feathers when those come in. Lucky's neck is still all down, so it's too soon to say. It also helps to have chicks of the same breed and age to compare to. When Lucky's neck feathers come in, try to get a good picture with something under a layer of feathers, like your hand, that would help us see the shape. Sometimes the first set of feathers aren't distinguishable enough to say, usually by the 3rd set it's noticeable. Chicks go through 5-6 changes of clothes before they have their adult wardrobe.
Oh, and don't pay much attention to the tail. In some breeds, the pullets get longer tails initially, and the cockerels catch up then surpass them later.
Thanks for these details. I know it's much too soon to say now, just added the pic bc he/she is so cute. What age can you reliably tell if it's male or female with this breed? Do you know when they usually begin crowing?

Thanks for these details. I know it's much too soon to say now, just added the pic bc he/she is so cute. What age can you reliably tell if it's male or female with this breed? Do you know when they usually begin crowing?

Reliably? When they crow or lay an egg 😅
There's a breeder group for Sumatra on FB. When people ask what sex their chicks are, the experienced folks say "wait till 8 months".
Crowing in most breeds begins when the males are close to sexual maturity, unless they're far down the pecking order. But chicks have been observed crowing in the brooder, so it's a really variable thing.
I haven't personally kept Sumatra, but I did entertain the idea, so followed the groups, and I know they were influential in my Black Ams which go through the same tail dimorphism (but not to such lengths).

My male's had larger combs starting

Reliably? When they crow or lay an egg 😅
There's a breeder group for Sumatra on FB. When people ask what sex their chicks are, the experienced folks say "wait till 8 months".
Crowing in most breeds begins when the males are close to sexual maturity, unless they're far down the pecking order. But chicks have been observed crowing in the brooder, so it's a really variable thing.
I haven't personally kept Sumatra, but I did entertain the idea, so followed the groups, and I know they were influential in my Black Ams which go through the same tail dimorphism (but not to such lengths).
If Lucky is a boy, I'm pretty certain it'll be my only roo. Most of the chickens are older and confirmed as hens or pullets. There are two others that hatched with Lucky but both are breeds that give early clues and so far they 100% appear to be female. I wish there was someone who could share pictures of males and females at each stage of growth for comparison. This unique chick was just one we luckily got in a surprise-mix batch of fertile eggs, and was also one of the ones that was lucky enough to make it to hatch (hence the name "Lucky") so we only have the one! Nothing to compare to.

Back
Top Bottom