Blind chicken- can eyes rot away?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
My 4.5 year old Maran has had an ongoing eye issue. It started with a slight change in shape of her eyeball and her iris got bigger. She is clearly blind in that eye. She also has waterbelly and we drain as needed.

Vet said it’s probably a tumor or cancer pressing on her eye.

A few days after visiting the vet, her entire eye went black. I assumed she took a peck and it was further injured. I treated with eye ointment and pain meds from vet. All seemed well and the eye lightening up a tad.

Fast forward a couple months and her eye is now shriveling up. You can’t see it from the front view.

Is it possible for an eye to rot away?

Do you think her eye needs removed?

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpeg
    IMG_8184.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    735.9 KB · Views: 4
I can’t see anything that resembles an eyeball in her socket. Eyes can become injured by peck wounds, and become ruptured. Eventually they will dry up. Did you rinse her eye or use any eye ointment in the eye when that was happening? Chickens can get by with only one eye, but may be more vulnerable to predators. The left eye of chickens is more near sighted while the right one is more for seeing far off.

I can’t see anything that resembles an eyeball in her socket. Eyes can become injured by peck wounds, and become ruptured. Eventually they will dry up. Did you rinse her eye or use any eye ointment in the eye when that was happening? Chickens can get by with only one eye, but may be more vulnerable to predators. The left eye of chickens is more near sighted while the right one is more for seeing far off.
Yes I rinsed it and used an eye ointment while it was injured (I can’t remember the name of it but it was prescribed by the vet.)

Since it dries up, I assume I don’t need to take her to the vet to have it removed?

Yes I rinsed it and used an eye ointment while it was injured (I can’t remember the name of it but it was prescribed by the vet.)

Since it dries up, I assume I don’t need to take her to the vet to have it removed?

Here are progressive photos of her eye. It was all black and seemed “fine” until recently where it’s now shriveling up

Attachments

• IMG_7060.jpeg
    IMG_7060.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7259.jpeg
    IMG_7259.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7286.jpeg
    IMG_7286.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom