• Don't know

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Mach

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Hi folks,

I'm new to backyard chickens. We got 3 pullets (at least, I hope they are pullets) from a licensed poultry breeder this past weekend. One had some bleeding on one side of its beak near its nostril. The blood seemed "fresh" when we got it but the past couple days it appears to be dry. The attached photo shows what it currently looks like.

What do you think this is? An external injury (perhaps pecking by other chickens?) or something more serious like a disease? Should I do anything? My wife tried to clean it up a bit with a wet paper towel while I held it but it didn't do much at all. It's hard to tell if it is just dried blood or if the actual "skin" is damaged.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That looks like she might have scratched herself when she was pecking around. I don't think it's anything to worry about. As long as it looks dry like that, and not inflamed or full of puss, I would just leave it alone.

Thank you. That side of her nostril skin certainly looks bigger than the other. Maybe it's a bit swollen.

Welcome to BYC. If the other nostril looks okay, it may just be an injury. When chickens get respiratory diseases they will have nasal drainage, and one in particular that has bloody mucus is ILT. If she had that there would be gasping, coughing, and bloody mucus slung all over, so it probably isn't anything to worry about just now. Watch it and post back here if it doesn't go away in a few days. Whenever you get new chickens, you should check them for lice and mites next to the skin, consider worming with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen, but also be aware of the symptoms of coccidiosis, and use Corid for that.

Thank you. If the chicken has lice, how can it be treated? Where can I buy the medicines you speak of? Is there an online source?

Corid and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are found at most feed stores in the cattle, and goat medicines. You can also Google them for prices online. Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Southern States plus many other regional farm stores where you buy feed carry them.

Our hen was fine yesterday and went into her hen box at 2:00. She has not been the same since. She laid her egg, but just sets there and is still there this morning. With the hot temps. I thought maybe she had over heated. She was and still is responsive. Her eyes look good, she is alert. She let me pick her up, but other then that won't leave her box. She is usually a free range active hen. I have continued giving her water with an eye dropper and she welcomes it, but this morning she had just a little dried blood from both nostrils. She isn't coughing, sneezing or has any other signs of anything outside of the fact that she isn't active. Today when it starts warming up we will be running a small fan for air movement and I will continue giving her water.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with her?

Back
Top Bottom