BLR Wyandotte 7 weeks

SouthernParadise

Chirping
May 19, 2023
IMG_9478.jpeg IMG_9486.jpeg IMG_9487.jpeg IMG_9490.jpeg IMG_9491.jpeg IMG_9495.jpeg IMG_9498.jpeg IMG_9500.jpeg IMG_9502.jpeg IMG_9503.jpeg I purchased 5 blr Wyandotte chicks from a local farmer. I’m not expecting them to be show quality or anything, but these chicks have me scratching my head. Are they pure wyandottes or mixes? And do I have mostly cockerels here? They all spar with each other but two have a clearly pinker comb. Several seem to have a single comb? Please help.

Those are EE was the first sentence that entered my head also.. right after that's not BLRW, unless the juvenile plumage is WAY different than what I expect it to be..

The may be cross but definitely not pure.

I agree 2 & 4 appear to be cockerels, so far.

Single comb CAN pop up in pure bred rose comb birds since rose is dominant to straight and can therefore hide a copy of straight.. both parents would have to pass a copy to the offspring for it to present.

I do see some "blue" in their feather colors.. at least some of them are blue based.. but they are barnyard mix at best.. Just for discussion purposes, not actually criticizing them.

Those are EE was the first sentence that entered my head also.. right after that's not BLRW, unless the juvenile plumage is WAY different than what I expect it to be..

The may be cross but definitely not pure.

I agree 2 & 4 appear to be cockerels, so far.

Single comb CAN pop up in pure bred rose comb birds since rose is dominant to straight and can therefore hide a copy of straight.. both parents would have to pass a copy to the offspring for it to present.

I do see some "blue" in their feather colors.. at least some of them are blue based.. but they are barnyard mix at best.. Just for discussion purposes, not actually criticizing them.
I just called the farmer to ask him about the answers I got here. Let me start by thanking you for your input. The farmer was hatching out two different breeds at one time in his incubator and apparently they got mixed up. He’s 76 years old so I’m inclined to believe him when he says it was an accident. Turns out they are what he called ameraucaunas. He has since sold the last of his ameraucaunas at auction and only has BLRW’s now so he will be replacing them at no cost at next hatching in a couple of weeks. It is what it is. I didn’t have the heart to give these 5 up. Ive grown quite attached to them. I’ll just put them in my Gen pop run. Thanks again 😊

I just called the farmer to ask him about the answers I got here. Let me start by thanking you for your input. The farmer was hatching out two different breeds at one time in his incubator and apparently they got mixed up. He’s 76 years old so I’m inclined to believe him when he says it was an accident. Turns out they are what he called ameraucaunas. He has since sold the last of his ameraucaunas at auction and only has BLRW’s now so he will be replacing them at no cost at next hatching in a couple of weeks. It is what it is. I didn’t have the heart to give these 5 up. Ive grown quite attached to them. I’ll just put them in my Gen pop run. Thanks again 😊
Accidents totally happen, it's nice that you can be understanding! :highfive:

Those are still Easter Eggers.. some hatcheries sell them as AmerIcana said to "represent the breed" and is misleading for most people.. but true AmerAUcana will conform to the standard of perfection.. which these do not. I know you already said you aren't worried about showing.. so just for informational purposes.

EE are still fun birds.. and the fact they don't all look exactly alike is part of what adds to that fun, for me!

Happy adventures!

Back
Top Bottom