Blue Jays

moodusnewchick

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
CT
I've recently noticed an increase in blue jay action around my chickens. Are these birds predators to chickens/chicks or just eggs? how about bantam chickens?
thanks!

I would imagine, much like crows, bluejays would offer a protective effect for chickens by grouping together and running off aerial predators...

That's what they do at my house. they don't pay the chickens any mind whatsoever and the chickens aren't afraid of them.

I don't think blue jays are a threat to your chickens/chicks/eggs with the exception they may carry disease, mites and lice. But that's any wild bird.
The blue jays here never entered my coop, now those nasty filthy english starlings that is another story.
Just like bluey said they harrass the local hawk population so they are welcome in my yard anytime and they eat very little of the scratch I throw out as a treat for the chickens in the evening. They earn there keep.

Yes, blue jays are a deterrent to hawks. But they can be a predator of chicks (never seen this only read this). But only for the very young I would think (1-2 week olds).

Have you noticed that Blue Jay's like to mimic other birds? I have one that steals the outside cat food. Then he likes to sit on a branch near the chickens and makes Red Tailed Hawk sounds. Yours is probably waiting to cash in on some chicken feed.
D.gif

I had bluejays get in between spaces left in a chicken wire topped pen. They were eating the food. Did not bother the chickens! Funny some found their way in but couldn't get out till I opened the door. Susan

Blue jays, like crows, are sort of "watchdogs" of the natural world. They alert other animals to the presence of danger. They're also very smart and fun to watch.

I would imagine it's okay for them to hang around as long as they can't get into your run. They might contaminate your chickens' feed or spread parasites.

I have one that likes to see me running out of the house in my jammies...I swear he laughs at me every time...the bugger...
I had one that mimicked Slifer's crow...must've really made the neighbour nuts...lol

I've learned the call a blue jay makes when he's found a food source (namely, the suet basket hanging in the tree outside our window). It's the ugliest sounding cry but, then, I've heard the same blue jays make beautiful flute like noises. I think they're fascinating and they've never bothered my chickens although they've dive bombed the cat. LOL

Back
Top Bottom