Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Thanks for the feedback delisha. I'm going to start more actively looking for a home out my way for #1. I wish I could keep him. I'm thriiled to hear #2 may be a pullet. I got another pullet out of that hatch as well so 2 out of three isn't bad odds!

My pretty girl Sarah 24 weeks now, it's hard to get a good picture :(
she is going to be really nice..wow..very sweet and feminine looking..love her look. Beautiful arched neck..The cockerel in the back has a really nice chest.. This is a good picture..look at that body. You can see she is going to be a round ball and that tail is going to come up and tent.Nice wide hard tail feathers..For her age her lower chest is coming in nicely.
Thanks :hugs I just love her, this is a better picture of the GL in the background, I think its a pullet?
delisha I weighed my big boy today-he weighs 6 1/2 lbs. He's 16 mo.s old

Quote: Thanks
hugs.gif
I just love her, this is a better picture of the GL in the background, I think its a pullet?

delisha I weighed my big boy today-he weighs 6 1/2 lbs. He's 16 mo.s old

You are right..pullet

6 lbs? are you sure that is right? He looks bigger. If not..
You need to find a 81/2-9 lb bird for those beautiful pullets.

My pretty girl Sarah 24 weeks now, it's hard to get a good picture :(
she is going to be really nice..wow..very sweet and feminine looking..love her look. Beautiful arched neck..The cockerel in the back has a really nice chest.. This is a good picture..look at that body. You can see she is going to be a round ball and that tail is going to come up and tent.Nice wide hard tail feathers..For her age her lower chest is coming in nicely.
Thanks :hugs I just love her, this is a better picture of the GL in the background, I think its a pullet? delisha I weighed my big boy today-he weighs 6 1/2 lbs. He's 16 mo.s old
You are right..pullet 6 lbs? are you sure that is right? He looks bigger. If not.. You need to find a 81/2-9 lb bird for those beautiful pullets.
We tried to set him on a board on top of a vegetable scale, he wasn't too cooperative but it looked like at least 6 1/2 but maybe I didn't let go of him enough to get a correct reading. He is the daddy of Sarah. I asked this before but no one answered- if a BL roo is bred to a GL hen or a BLR roo to a GL hen what color will you get?

a comment on weights... I've noticed on this and a couple other threads, the concern seems to be for birds of specific weights, bigger, smaller, etc...
something to take into consideration when comparing birds NOT kept by the same owner... How are the birds housed, fed, etc.

I free range all the birds not currently in breeding pens. They get a snack of scratch in the afternoon, and 'breakfast' when I turn them loose. These birds are much leaner than the ones confined to a breeding pen and fed free choice pellets plus scraps as they come available. even between free ranging flocks, one flock may be leaner than the other, just based on whether they have grassy pasture or wooded mountainside. my captive dorking hens average a little over a pound heavier than their free ranging cohorts...

just some food for thought...

I honestly can't answer that fully. I wish I could. I am horrible with color codes..most know much more than I do.

BLR to GL=Since they are both laced and both black foundation you probably will get most GL and a few BLR (Black) Black to black you will get all black

BL to GL you might get a blue laced gold..should be interesting.(I am guessing)

Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

I asked this before but no one answered- if a BL roo is bred to a GL hen or a BLR roo to a GL hen what color will you get?
I've answered this before, actually...

breeding a ?? laced red to a gold laced, ignoring what flavor blue/black for now, mahoagany is dominant, but I believe gold involves a diluter to make the 'normal' red lighter... so you might get something vaguely mahogany, but more likely you'll get 'regular' red (aka diluted mahogany) and possibly golds depending on if your mahogany-colored bird carries 1 or 2 copies of the gene.

as for the blue, that would follow normal bbs breeding rules. they're 2 separate things that are only linked by the fact that they're on the same bird. but each follows its own rules.
so like delisha said... blue to black, you'll get 50/50 blue and black... black to black, you'll get all black.

none of these mutations have any bearing which bird is which color, male or female. the sex-linked mutations that would matter would be silver, barred and chocolate... but a gold laced or blrw don't have any of these.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom