Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My bouquet of chicks. 8 of these were sold to me as BLRW eggs, 3 seemed to be colored appropriately. 2 of the supposed BLRW are completely slate in color and even have slate legs. One appears completely splash like from a BBS breeding. At least none have a straight comb, and they are sweet!

Any opinions on the head shape on this one on my boot?

You do have quite an assortment there! It looks like you have some solids and laced varieties.

My bouquet of chicks. 8 of these were sold to me as BLRW eggs, 3 seemed to be colored appropriately. 2 of the supposed BLRW are completely slate in color and even have slate legs. One appears completely splash like from a BBS breeding. At least none have a straight comb, and they are sweet!

Any opinions on the head shape on this one on my boot?

My rooster has a slight indention in his comb right near the front. Is this something that I need to try and breed out, and if so, how should I go about it?

My rooster has a slight indention in his comb right near the front. Is this something that I need to try and breed out, and if so, how should I go about it?

I would only worry about the comb once you have type and color perfect... and honestly, I wouldn't use this roo unless he's all you've got to work with.

when working with mahogany-based breeds, it's always best to avoid brassy looking hackles. you want nice dark hackles and deep red. this guy doesn't carry mahogany, so you won't get it from him.

yes, he's blue, yes, he's laced, and he's pretty but he's not red and doesn't have the Wyandotte type that needs even more work (among all breeders) than the color does IMO.

Unfortunately, he is the only male I have along with 2 splash hens. I was really hoping to use them for some good breeding, but if he doesn't carry mahogany and isn't correctly typed, I suppose I wouldn't really get any good quality chicks from them? The one hen is from the same breeder and the other is a pullet that I hatched out last year. Would it be better to sell the trio that I have (as pet quality) and start over with new breeders? Does anyone know of a good place to get some nice quality blue laced reds? I was hoping to raise them for myself because I really like the color and to sell, but I don't want to raise poor quality birds.

Peeking in! My blrw chicks are about 2 weeks old, and I'm still completely befuddled on who might be a boy and who might be girl. They're all feathering in at about the same rate, so I can't go by that yet. Did you all ever decide if the close together/far apart 'barring' on chicks wings was a somewhat reliable way to judge sex before they start to pink up? I need to decide if I need to get more eggs in the near future if I have mostly boys (which is my gut feeling).

Back
Top Bottom