Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I have a show coming up and my male is loosing his feathers to moult..I sure hope he looks beautiful before I go!! Right now the poor fella looks awful.

I need to up his protein to get him into condition fast!!

I have a show coming up and my male is loosing his feathers to moult..I sure hope he looks beautiful before I go!! Right now the poor fella looks awful.

I need to up his protein to get him into condition fast!!
good luck! when's the show? it takes up to 6 weeks for smaller feathers to come in completely... longer for the long feathers.

Quote: The show is in three weeks and he has been moulting for almost three weeks. His hack feathers are the worse, however they are growing in and just have that protective sheath on them right now. I think he should be done by than. I hope so anyway. I am adding duck fat as a top dressing to push it faster. This is his last juvie moult. I need to get a solid pound on him in three weeks. He is at 7.

Quote: The show is in three weeks and he has been moulting for almost three weeks. His hack feathers are the worse, however they are growing in and just have that protective sheath on them right now. I think he should be done by than. I hope so anyway. I am adding duck fat as a top dressing to push it faster. This is his last juvie moult. I need to get a solid pound on him in three weeks. He is at 7.
one trick I learned when showing cockatiels... if a feather is bent (not broken) HOT water will straighten it out some. if he's loaded with pin feathers, getting him wet will help the feather sheaths open up... I used a spray bottle and just misted the 'tiels a couple times a week and the pin feathers came out a bit faster...

a change in diet could cause a line in the feather. kind of like a horse's hoof or your fingernails when something changes nutritionally (or stress, medication, etc)
in the parrot world we call them stress bars...
stress-bar1.jpg

Thanks for the tip..

I have not given him his bath yet..He is free from any type of bugs so I skip the month away one I do for show prep.
I will give him his first bath next week. My female too..I am not looking forward to it. I have been handling them daily and they are not crazy about it. They now hide from me and i don't like it. I am almost tempted to use corn..I hate to feed any type of corn..so i must be pretty desperate.

Last edited:
My girl..she is not in a good pose..she is simply beautiful and will fill out so much more..If her head was not so far forward her front would look nice and round and that wing would be level. She has some lacing faults, but not enough for me to cull her. She is 5 months old. I love her feather quality. Love her wide tail feathers. She has a beautiful tent. Her color red is a bit too brown, however it is better than brassy.

My girl..she is not in a good pose..she is simply beautiful and will fill out so much more..If her head was not so far forward her front would look nice and round and that wing would be level. She has some lacing faults, but not enough for me to cull her. She is 5 months old. I love her feather quality. Love her wide tail feathers. She has a beautiful tent. Her color red is a bit too brown, however it is better than brassy.
:love

Back
Top Bottom