Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I need to take some pictures..I am letting them settle in. They are 4 months old and a nice size already.

Ooh I can't wait. I've had chicks hatching and I can't get any pics cause my daughter is competing interstate and they took my camera.
1f62b.png
I've got thousands of horse pics, need more chook pics
1f61c.png

I want to say a very big THANK YOU to texasmja!!! THANK YOU for the beautiful pullets today!

Backstory: I was reading this thread in August, drooling over the beautiful BLRW and admiring everyone's gorgeous birds. I have some SLW that came from a feedstore, yes they are hatchery birds and hatchery quality, but I LOVE Wyandottes! I noticed that texasmja was in a town not too far from me. About 1 1/2 hours away one way, in Texas we don't measure by miles, just how long it takes to get there at 70 miles per hour.
lau.gif
I sent her a PM asking if she had any BLRW chicks and she responded that she would have some pullets ready in a couple of months and would contact me when they were ready. I live in the middle of my small town and do not have a rooster, I am not a breeder and just wanted a few of these beautiful birds for backyard eye candy and eggs. Texasmja contacted me about a week ago and today my husband and I drove over to her farm and picked up our new pullets.

We couldn't believe how big and beautiful her Wyandottes are! All I have seen is hatchery SLW's and let me tell you, (you already know this don't you?
gig.gif
) looking at Texasmja's bodacious birds and dredging up a mental picture of my SLW's at home was like comparing Miss America to Miss Vacant Lot. Just no comparison. No comparison at all. (shaking head in dumbfounded daze) It was like standing a Clydesdale next to a donkey with 4 broken legs.......just no comparison at all. Wow. Just Wow. Even though she said these pullets are not breeder quality due to their combs, to me they are beautiful.
love.gif

HSCMorgans - I started with Orpingtons but have found the Wyandottes to be calmer & LOVE the variety in colors. They'll be 18wks this coming Sunday, waiting for those eggs. Should I feed layer at 18wks or wait until they start laying? Thanks again...

Here's my remaining pullet. she's around 18 or 19 weeks now. I know her tail angle is not where it should be, and she's holding her wings a bit oddly in the picture, but she's the best starting point i've got.

And this is my cockerel from peakybeaky. He's kind of hunched up in the 2nd pic, but wow is he a big guy!

I really want to set 8-12 of these out with my October 25thish incubator batch but I'm trying to avoid ordering from MPC. I'd like to stick with a breeder so that I know I'm not getting diluted color. Any recommendations as to where to get some eggs for that time frame?

I want to say a very big THANK YOU to texasmja!!! THANK YOU for the beautiful pullets today!

Backstory: I was reading this thread in August, drooling over the beautiful BLRW and admiring everyone's gorgeous birds. I have some SLW that came from a feedstore, yes they are hatchery birds and hatchery quality, but I LOVE Wyandottes! I noticed that texasmja was in a town not too far from me. About 1 1/2 hours away one way, in Texas we don't measure by miles, just how long it takes to get there at 70 miles per hour.
lau.gif
I sent her a PM asking if she had any BLRW chicks and she responded that she would have some pullets ready in a couple of months and would contact me when they were ready. I live in the middle of my small town and do not have a rooster, I am not a breeder and just wanted a few of these beautiful birds for backyard eye candy and eggs. Texasmja contacted me about a week ago and today my husband and I drove over to her farm and picked up our new pullets.

We couldn't believe how big and beautiful her Wyandottes are! All I have seen is hatchery SLW's and let me tell you, (you already know this don't you?
gig.gif
) looking at Texasmja's bodacious birds and dredging up a mental picture of my SLW's at home was like comparing Miss America to Miss Vacant Lot. Just no comparison. No comparison at all. (shaking head in dumbfounded daze) It was like standing a Clydesdale next to a donkey with 4 broken legs.......just no comparison at all. Wow. Just Wow. Even though she said these pullets are not breeder quality due to their combs, to me they are beautiful.
love.gif

Congrats!! Pretty birds
HSCMorgans - I started with Orpingtons but have found the Wyandottes to be calmer & LOVE the variety in colors. They'll be 18wks this coming Sunday, waiting for those eggs. Should I feed layer at 18wks or wait until they start laying? Thanks again...
You will get many different answers. I have all ages and sexes of birds. For that reason I only feed all flock/ chick/my own blend of grains. I never feed layer, I just put out oyster shells for the girls or who ever needs the calcium. I also feed back all egg shells.

delisha - Thank you for your input....The breeder told me start Layer when they make 18wks, which I picked up since they will be on Sunday BUT I've also read posts saying feed Flock until they lay then start Layer. Then there's those that feed Flock with oyster shells on the side. I'm investigating how to mix my own grain but for the limited amount of birds I have, it might not be cost effective. Thanks again.

Here's my remaining pullet. she's around 18 or 19 weeks now. I know her tail angle is not where it should be, and she's holding her wings a bit oddly in the picture, but she's the best starting point i've got.

And this is my cockerel from peakybeaky. He's kind of hunched up in the 2nd pic, but wow is he a big guy!

Love the color, what would it be called?

I'm having trouble quoting posts so bare with me.. lol. Hard to see in the picture... If it is a blue it is extremely light... I still want to call it a splash tho. Maybe a couple others can post their opinion as well.

Back
Top Bottom