Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Here are my splashes. The roos have very golden hackles. Are they supposed to be that golden?

Thank you! And your welcome!
Congratulations!!!
ya.gif

Around what age do BLRWs start to lay? I know they are usually a little later b/c they are so large, but I was just curious to everyone's experience. My 17 week pullets are huge compared to their hatch mates, and getting redder in the face faster, but I wasn't expecting them to start for a while. They are now both larger than the large fowl broody that hatched them, but they still come running for treats when she clucks, so cute!
if hatchery stock, they might lay sooner.
One of mine started at 23 weeks, the rest all started at 25-26 weeks, and we still have 2 holding out at 28 weeks
idunno.gif
they are breeder lines / non hatchery
Is it common for splash roos to have very golden hackles? One of my GLW roos even has darker hackles than most of my splash roos.
I think that the golden color in the hackles is also reflected in the lacing as lighter mahogany color.

I don't know how common it is... I don't have any splash cockerels to compare to yours, only pullets. it has to do with how he was bred, for example breeding Splash to Blue gives you 50/50 blue and splash chicks...But your Blue chicks over multiple generations will start getting lighter and lighter, because you breed to splash every time. the mahogany is also diluted by breeding to splash. I imagine that the resulting Splash chicks would also get lighter over time just the same way blues would (and why splash breeding is "bad"). so to avoid that, you would only breed blue x blue from 2nd generation onward, OR just introduce stock with darker mahogany to correct through breeding..

BTW it is still OK to use splash X black to get blues on your 1st generation if that is what you have to work with. if you could get outside genetics with really dark mahogany on a black laced hen, I bet you could improve the line in 1 generation..

Here's a few pics I took today of my BLRWs. Let me know what you think of them, any idea on ages, how long it might be until they start laying etc.? What do you think of the quality? The only decent pic that I got of my rooster was with one of my BCMs. Ill try to get another pic of him tomorrow and also one of my splash hen. Guess she didn't feel like pictures today!
wink.png

pretty birds! they all look like pullets to me, except the boy in the 1st pic. I would guess they are about 4 months old? Mine lay around 6-7 mos. the red on the Blue pullet looks somewhat mossy and lacing incomplete in certain spots, but the Black pullet is very nice! cant tell type, they need to get bigger ;) where are they from?

Here are my splashes. The roos have very golden hackles. Are they supposed to be that golden?

oops I just saw these! Yes I guess overall your mahogany is just lighter everywhere... more like an orange/copper than red/mahogany?

here is a pic of one of my splash pullets, about a month ago. I need to take new photos.. they would be just under 6mos here

you can see on her wing is pretty dark, but on her back the lacing is still super light. I am wondering if it will change after her first molt. I am breeding blue x blue only, but I sure do love the splashes. I think they are so so so beautiful to look at!

Last edited:
if hatchery stock, they might lay sooner.
One of mine started at 23 weeks, the rest all started at 25-26 weeks, and we still have 2 holding out at 28 weeks
idunno.gif
they are breeder lines / non hatchery
We hatched out our BLRW from local eggs, so not a hatchery, but I don't know how the stock is. They are pretty birds with nice lacing, but one of mine does have a straight comb. I don't think they are that close to laying, they are now 18 weeks. Even though they are large, their overall shape still has a juvenile appearance to me. We will see! We have other laying hens, so it's easier to wait for those first eggs.
Here they are

Amber, she is black, sweet bird.

Chippy, pretty feathering, bum comb, huge bird, very inquisitive.

And here they are together!

We hatched out our BLRW from local eggs, so not a hatchery, but I don't know how the stock is. They are pretty birds with nice lacing, but one of mine does have a straight comb. I don't think they are that close to laying, they are now 18 weeks. Even though they are large, their overall shape still has a juvenile appearance to me. We will see! We have other laying hens, so it's easier to wait for those first eggs.
Here they are

Amber, she is black, sweet bird.

Chippy, pretty feathering, bum comb, huge bird, very inquisitive.

And here they are together!
Pretty birds!! Too bad about the comb on the blue one, she is pretty.

In the photo I posted above, the Blue and the Splash in the foreground were just about to lay or had JUST started laying... those 2 girls were first. Just as a size and redness comparison :)

oops I just saw these! Yes I guess overall your mahogany is just lighter everywhere... more like an orange/copper than red/mahogany? here is a pic of one of my splash pullets, about a month ago. I need to take new photos.. they would be just under 6mos here you can see on her wing is pretty dark, but on her back the lacing is still super light. I am wondering if it will change after her first molt. I am breeding blue x blue only, but I sure do love the splashes. I think they are so so so beautiful to look at!
Yeah I only have one that has good mahogany and I named her PJ (because she is my pride and joy) and she was too camera shy to get a pic. One is almost buff she is so light. I call her Goldilox. I have a decent black one but he could stand to be more red too. I'll see about getting a pic of him. ETA: These splashes of mine are about 4 months old so I'm hoping they still have a little bit of change left in them. These are some gorgeous birds I'm seeing on here. I hope I can get some from Foley lines soon.

Last edited:
Oops, I hit the submit button on the touchscreen by mistake before I finished the post. This is my black BLRW. His hackles aren't actually gold like that but the flash made the color come out weird in the picture. You can see his color best in the top view.

How is he in type and color? He is about 5 months old. I'm hoping to breed him (Boss-Man) to PJ if his color is dark or red enough.

Last edited:
Farmer Viola, I got them from Sunset Meadow Farm in Ohio. I got them as started, sexed birds. The one roo and three hens. I'm hoping to hatch some eggs out next spring. Guess we'll see what I get. Blue, my roo, is still working on getting his feathers in and looks kind of scraggly still. I was told the birds were 12-16 weeks when I got them but they obviously weren't that old. I've had them for about 8 weeks. The blue hen was the youngest in the bunch and the black and splash were the bigger ones with splash being the biggest I think.

here are some of my BLR chicks. I am just curious if they should be showing more blue on the undersides at this time. What do you think? are they all going to be blacks?

Back
Top Bottom