Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

So, I've had silkies my whole life so far....short life since I'm only 18 haha... But I had bad luck with a mink and now that came to a somewhat end. I have silkie/cochin crosses and a few silkies now but I found someone with two trios of BLRW bantams and thought I'd give it a try! What I was wondering is what I breed them with to get more of a blue color. They have it on them but I think I saw that if you breed them with other BLRW they loose the color and that you have to breed with SLW? Not sure if I'm correct. Let me know if you can! Any other help on the breed is appreciated as well!

So, I've had silkies my whole life so far....short life since I'm only 18 haha... But I had bad luck with a mink and now that came to a somewhat end. I have silkie/cochin crosses and a few silkies now but I found someone with two trios of BLRW bantams and thought I'd give it a try! What I was wondering is what I breed them with to get more of a blue color. They have it on them but I think I saw that if you breed them with other BLRW they loose the color and that you have to breed with SLW? Not sure if I'm correct. Let me know if you can! Any other help on the breed is appreciated as well!

You definitely shouldn't cross them out. Do you have pics of the birds you are getting? That would be helpful in making breeding suggestions.

So I hatched a chick from my favorite blrw hen and daddy is a tolbunt Polish ... I'm thinking it maybe a boy...he's pretty cute for a mutt chicken :) fluffy checks and a Mohawk ... Some feathers are becoming laced .. It will be interesting to see... Mom has a rose comb, dad. Has the tolbunt Polish v comb, yet this lil one has a single comb/ v comb? Anyhow thought I'd share since his momma is blrw

Some of his feathers

Face pic of (his?) wacky comb and Mohawk :)

Daddy

Momma

Would appreciate thoughts on gender.. My gut says Roo but I don't want to rehome him until I know for sure... He is 8 weeks old... While I think he looks red and has more wattle than his siblings., I see other 6 week old chicks that are way more prominent so I'm holding on to him until I know for sure

Thanks!

I love how he/she looks!! Makes me want one just like it with the fun do plus the lacing :) Is this the first time you have hatched from the two of them?

Remember the babies from 4/4? Here are updated pictures One is def. dark blue, one is black...maybe another black? One splash one maybe splash. The others I can't tell, they look dark, almost black, but I gather that can change? And #2 has a very red comb...and another is just a shade less red, but the rest seem yellow,

So here I go, best guesses I can give you at this point, I have 2 chicks that are about a week or two older than yours and I have 8 that are about a week behind.

Are your in these pics about 4 weeks old?

My guesses are:

Splash- 1,2 (pretty sure on these)
Blue- 3,4,6
Black- 5,7, maybe 8

Last year with my 1st bunch of BLRW chicks i got 9 ALL SPLASH and they ALL looked like your 1 and 2.
This year I have more that look like splash but also some that look like black....ive never seen these as chicks until this year so im not NEAR as confident on what they look like as chicks.

After this years chicks, i should be much better at telling them apart.

post more picks in another week or so please so we can watch them grow.

I will be posting more of mine soon.

So here I go, best guesses I can give you at this point, I have 2 chicks that are about a week or two older than yours and I have 8 that are about a week behind.

Are your in these pics about 4 weeks old?

My guesses are:

Splash- 1,2 (pretty sure on these)
Blue- 3,4,6
Black- 5,7, maybe 8

Last year with my 1st bunch of BLRW chicks i got 9 ALL SPLASH and they ALL looked like your 1 and 2.
This year I have more that look like splash but also some that look like black....ive never seen these as chicks until this year so im not NEAR as confident on what they look like as chicks.

After this years chicks, i should be much better at telling them apart.

post more picks in another week or so please so we can watch them grow.

I will be posting more of mine soon.

Thanks! I'm leaning that way except 7 is def. very dark blue - you can't tell from this picture (and is going to stay for me to grow out). Will post pics again in a week or so!

I love how he/she looks!! Makes me want one just like it with the fun do plus the lacing :) Is this the first time you have hatched from the two of them?

It was the 1st and last time I'll hatch from them as I live in the city and can't keep a roo so unfirtunitly I had to rehome my tolbunt Polish.... I love how their babies came out. 2 Blue with fluffy polish heads...and a black with fluffy polish head...
Here's my lighter grey pullet

Another shot of the suspected boy which im bummed about

And the 3rd is a black chick... Fingers crossed puller but not sure because the skin is so dark

Back
Top Bottom