Bonsai Tree Emergency

the_peanut_coop

🦌Optimist🦌
Mar 2, 2021
The Wild Wild Wild Wild Wild West
My Coop
My Coop
If anyone owns a bonsai tree...
I have no idea what I'm doing, but the owner of the tree left us to take care of it, It used to be a lot prettier
1674339731664.png

We're not letting it dry out, misting it every other(ish) day and watering the bottom regularly. Any Idea what's going on with it?

Looks like a ficus. They can be touchy about temperatures, watering, and even moving them can cause leaf drop. I had a beautiful bonsai ficus that I couldn't get the scale off of and finally gave up.

Are the branches pliable? Or stiff and dead? Ficus will grow from the trunk so it may or may not come back. You also have to be careful to not water too much and rot the roots. Ficus thrive on neglect.

Looks like a ficus. They can be touchy about temperatures, watering, and even moving them can cause leaf drop. I had a beautiful bonsai ficus that I couldn't get the scale off of and finally gave up.

Are the branches pliable? Or stiff and dead? Ficus will grow from the trunk so it may or may not come back. You also have to be careful to not water too much and rot the roots. Ficus thrive on neglect.
the green branches are bendable and flexible, but the small brown branches are stiff and brittle.

I have found that they do best in a self watering pot where there is a separation between the reservoir and roots. While ficus like moist soil they do not do well with roots that are soggy for too long without having time to dry some.

From the picture, it seems like it might need a bit more light to thrive and maybe some pruning to bring out its beauty. Just a heads up, over-misting can sometimes cause issues, so it's good to keep an eye on that. Before watering, always check the soil moisture to avoid overwatering.

Back
Top Bottom