Box traps/baits/odd catches

Caught an older one the other day on the peanut butter and soup chips. That makes three so far. Not sure how many more are around to be an immediate issue. Trying out an egg now and gonna give it a few more days. Might try some type of melon next as mentioned by Sally PB cause it sounded tasty. I will get back with results lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20240705_150137866.jpg
    IMG_20240705_150137866.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 4
Opossums will eat marshmallows and peanut butter too 🤷🏼‍♂️. I believe I've relocated enough of the raccoons for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240904_183602561.jpg
    IMG_20240904_183602561.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 3
Guess not... Oh forgot to mention I did try an egg and then a bit of watermelon for a few days. Didn't catch anything but hadn't for a while til the other day. Anyone else trap anything lately? For those worried about predators you may want to try this periodically yourself. It seems to work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20240907_073331689.jpg
    IMG_20240907_073331689.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Speaking as someone who has never seen a raccoon before, they look kinda cute.
However:
Speaking as someone who has heard all about raccoons before, you can keep the little beggers out of France
😂
But, hell, opossums could only be loved my their mamas 😧

Speaking as someone who has never seen a raccoon before, they look kinda cute.
However:
Speaking as someone who has heard all about raccoons before, you can keep the little beggers out of France
😂
But, hell, opossums could only be loved my their mamas 😧
They are cute but probably the worst (wild animal) as far as killing through pens and hurting your flock numbers. Interesting little guys though.

Guess not... Oh forgot to mention I did try an egg and then a bit of watermelon for a few days. Didn't catch anything but hadn't for a while til the other day. Anyone else trap anything lately? For those worried about predators you may want to try this periodically yourself. It seems to work for me.
What do you do with them when you catch them ?

Trapped a coon 2 nights ago and a possum last night with smoked fish scraps. Smoky, salty, fatty fish works great! I'm keeping some smoked salmon skins and creek chubs in the freezer for trapping season this fall/winter. We have a huge coon problem in MI and it seems the main form of population control is getting run over.

I'm not nice enough to let them go, plus getting one out of a dog proof trap is just asking to get bitten. I don't mind seeing opossums but not around my chickens, any other situation I would let them walk. The coon was dressed and cooked, fed the chickens some today and will continue to give them a bit every day till it's all gone. Once in a while I'll cook some up for myself too if I'm feeling adventurous.

Trapped a coon 2 nights ago and a possum last night with smoked fish scraps. Smoky, salty, fatty fish works great! I'm keeping some smoked salmon skins and creek chubs in the freezer for trapping season this fall/winter. We have a huge coon problem in MI and it seems the main form of population control is getting run over.

I'm not nice enough to let them go, plus getting one out of a dog proof trap is just asking to get bitten. I don't mind seeing opossums but not around my chickens, any other situation I would let them walk. The coon was dressed and cooked, fed the chickens some today and will continue to give them a bit every day till it's all gone. Once in a while I'll cook some up for myself too if I'm feeling adventurous.
It is definitely a to do and takes a special method to getting them out of the trap right 🤣

Back
Top Bottom