Brahma crosses for meat?

dunnmom

Crowing
Mar 30, 2016
Oklahoma
Has anyone here used Brahma crosses for meat? I know Brahmas are slow to mature, but I’m wondering how it would turn out (table-bird-wise) if I bred my Dark Brahma x Wyandotte roo to my Buff O layers, as all are heavy dual-purpose breeds. I’m getting discouraged by tough supermarket woody chicken breast, and am considering setting up a meat-bird pen, but would like to breed from the flock I already have. Opinions? Experience?

Has anyone here used Brahma crosses for meat? I know Brahmas are slow to mature, but I’m wondering how it would turn out (table-bird-wise) if I bred my Dark Brahma x Wyandotte roo to my Buff O layers, as all are heavy dual-purpose breeds. I’m getting discouraged by tough supermarket woody chicken breast, and am considering setting up a meat-bird pen, but would like to breed from the flock I already have. Opinions? Experience?
I briefly crossed Light Brahmas with White Laced Red Cornish.
full

full

full

full

Only one came out this color
full

full

She was the only one that I kept. No matter which kind of rooster I used with her, her offspring always had good size and mass. In my opinion they were delicious. She was by far the broodiest hen I have had,

I briefly crossed Light Brahmas with White Laced Red Cornish.
full

full

full

full

Only one came out this color
full

full

She was the only one that I kept. No matter which kind of rooster I used with her, her offspring always had good size and mass. In my opinion they were delicious. She was by far the broodiest hen I have had,
Do you have any idea whether the cross I have in mind would result in sex-linked chicks? I tried to plug it into a calculator, but since the roo is already a cross, I didn’t trust the accuracy of the calculator.

Do you have any idea whether the cross I have in mind would result in sex-linked chicks? I tried to plug it into a calculator, but since the roo is already a cross, I didn’t trust the accuracy of the calculator.
They should not be sex linked from what I understand. I have seen a table of what crosses can make sex links but do not remember what they were other than crossing a non-barred roster on a barred hen will create sex links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/

I have a Brahma roo that I cross with red ranger/rainbow ranger hens. The offspring get just as large, as quickly as the original rangers. Plus they're decent layers and some have gone broody.
Good to know they might grow a little faster. I don’t mind waiting past 12 weeks, but my brahma mix boys are 18 weeks, and I know they aren’t done growing yet as they just reached the size of the full grown Orp hens.

Back
Top Bottom