Brinsea 190, & other cabinet incubators, Positives & negatives please

Quote:
Yes, I am using the camping hand water pump. And I'm just using a big tube to fill the reservoir from warm water I got from the sink (using a regular container).

Keeping the water level high in the reservoir increases the surface area for evaporation which is essentially what is keeping humidity up, even though my air vents are about a third to half open now. I do have the mug in there, and it is filled to the top, but I doubt it will contribute much, although it may act like a slow release evaporation tray because the surface area is much smaller. So the evap rate is going to be slower and spread out.

The Brinsea evaporation tray narrows down at the center and is widest at the top, so if we can keep the water level high, it will maximize surface area which is what we need.

I'll just need to keep an eye over this for the next few days because it is my first hatch with the Brinsea 190 and I hope it will increase my hatch rates, and I will keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Yes, I am using the camping hand water pump. And I'm just using a big tube to fill the reservoir from warm water I got from the sink (using a regular container).

Keeping the water level high in the reservoir increases the surface area for evaporation which is essentially what is keeping humidity up, even though my air vents are about a third to half open now. I do have the mug in there, and it is filled to the top, but I doubt it will contribute much, although it may act like a slow release evaporation tray because the surface area is much smaller. So the evap rate is going to be slower and spread out.

The Brinsea evaporation tray narrows down at the center and is widest at the top, so if we can keep the water level high, it will maximize surface area which is what we need.

I'll just need to keep an eye over this for the next few days because it is my first hatch with the Brinsea 190 and I hope it will increase my hatch rates, and I will keep you guys updated.

Sounds good, i will definitely be watching this thread for your results.

Quote:
I'm stuck on #4....for this price, besides the problems already mentioned....IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A LIGHT?????
th.gif

Quote:

Keeping the water level high in the reservoir increases the surface area for evaporation which ihere, ially what is keeping humidity up, even though my air vents are about a third to half open now. I do have the mug in there, and it is filled to the top, but I doubt it will contribute much, although it may act like a slow release evaporation tray because the surface area is much smaller. So the evap rate is going to be slower and spread out.

waiting!!!!!
pop.gif

Ok guys, I've got the results in from the Hatch. I still do have some eggs left in there for hope of a late hatch, but we'll see. Don't want to jinx it now.

Some eggs hatched on Day 20, and the vast majority hatched right on time, on Day 21. The hatch rate is vastly improved, and I am very thrilled that some were even 11/11 hatch rate, but some were 5/9. I've got many breeds in the Brinsea, so I will spare you all the details, but all in all, I'm very pleased with the hatch rate.

I had to pump water in to the evap tray every morning and the humidity held up for me around 62-65%. The Temp was solid all the way. Now, I still have several eggs waiting for a late hatch, and I'm pretty sure I heard at least 1 chick peeping away, although I do not see any pips. Today is day 22.

Here are some pics from the hatch last 2 days.

5457867494_cf9f6a8bc9_o.jpg

Chicks, and the family welcoming them into our world.

5457867436_88fd25a9d1_o.jpg

They are a day old, or less than a day old in this pic, after just being transferred to the brooder from the Brinsea. Cute chubby healthy chicks in the brooder now.

5457261065_f5bf9c5dc3_o.jpg

In this lot, we have a mix of these breeds - Barnevelder, BBS Orp, Buff Orp, Lemon Blue LF Cochins, a several cochin bantams.

5457867288_cd6d052c1f_o.jpg

Kimi our 5 year old Airedale says hi and sniffs a Lemon Blue Cochin chick

5457260963_98a3e55e44_o.jpg

We were just staring at the adorable chicks and making sure everyone had a chance to drink and eat, and could stay warm.

5457260893_ff85e04e74_o.jpg

More chicks

5457867106_0bc36d8a40_o.jpg

BBS Orp

5457867050_493f0f3eff_o.jpg

My favorite breed of these chicks today - The Barnevelders. Awesome coloring, very healthy, and curious little fellas.

Congrats on the hatch. I have about 9 days to go for my first, though I do plan on using my hovabator to hatch in.

After reading this whole thread (Ok, NOT the WHOLE thing) I have decided to order the GQF Sportsman 1502. And I feel really good about it. I ordered the Clear door, humidity bucket and trays for just under $900 including Shipping.
http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=home

I too was sucked into the clean looking design of the Brinsea but the last thing I want to deal with is all the problems. Thank you all for taking the time to give a good review.

Up to this point I've been using 2 Hovabator Genesis 1588s and a 1602N. They work fine, but take up too much space and I still don't have enough room for all the eggs I want to hatch.

Thanks again and good luck to you all!

Shelley

I have had several very nice hatches 95-100%. I incubate in the Brinsea with a bowl of water in the bottom so the pump is not constantly running. I then hatch in my Hovabator genesis for higher humidity and cleanliness. All the hatching mess is kept out of the Brinsea. I can also divide up my genesis to separate chicks for identification

After reading this whole thread (Ok, NOT the WHOLE thing) I have decided to order the GQF Sportsman 1502. And I feel really good about it. I ordered the Clear door, humidity bucket and trays for just under $900 including Shipping.
http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=home

I too was sucked into the clean looking design of the Brinsea but the last thing I want to deal with is all the problems. Thank you all for taking the time to give a good review.

Up to this point I've been using 2 Hovabator Genesis 1588s and a 1602N. They work fine, but take up too much space and I still don't have enough room for all the eggs I want to hatch.

Thanks again and good luck to you all!

Shelley

Hello Shelley, I know it's been a long time since your post but I was wondering if you're happy with your GQF 1502.

Deborah

Back
Top Bottom