Brooder Heat Lamp

So didn't get the ceramic bulbs yesterday but rigged up a way to raise them higher above the brooder boxes. The dimmer looks like a great option too. Add that to be to do list today.

And a pretty cheap "fix' too!

a lot cheaper.
wee.gif

I used a small heating pad for a while up till mine were a couple of weeks old and switched to a heat lamp. It worked fine and didn't heat up the whole brooder area. Wrapped it and a small box in a towel to make a nest and they could roam at room temperature and back to the nest when chilled. May not work for a large number of chicks but was perfact for six. A larger pad and box would work for a slighly larger number. Cheaper than alot of alternatives too.

I used a small heating pad for a while up till mine were a couple of weeks old and switched to a heat lamp. It worked fine and didn't heat up the whole brooder area. Wrapped it and a small box in a towel to make a nest and they could roam at room temperature and back to the nest when chilled. May not work for a large number of chicks but was perfact for six. A larger pad and box would work for a slighly larger number. Cheaper than alot of alternatives too.

That is something I'm thinking of trying also except... possibly trying one of these that are used for outdoor pet beds. Not sure on these as I'm reading reviews right now. My reason for wanting some heat coming from below is that I will be brooding outdoors in an otherwise unheated hen house in cold weather. I would also use a heat source from above, but I thought keeping an area warm from below could possibly help in the cold temps.

Another link so you can see what I'm looking at. There are various ones made in different ways. Some are pliable like a heating pad; some are rigid. Since they're made for animals, most of these are waterproof and have some kind of guard on the cords that would protect from chewing.

http://www.wag.com/cat/p/kh-pet-pro..._content=pla&ca_sku=KHM-001&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

http://www.amazon.com/Lectro-Soft-H...671742&sr=8-2&keywords=outdoor+heated+pet+pad

There are others out there...like I said, I'm just in the research stage right now!

Back
Top Bottom