Broodiness Cycle

*UPDATE*

Broody Betty is in jail. And she ain't happy. LOL!

I may have to eventually just let her hatch a couple eggs and give them away and see if that makes her stop, or at least not go broody so often. Doing jail every other month for one and a half years is exhausting lol.... And I hardly ever get eggs from her bc she is always wanting babies.

I really think if this has been going on bi-monthly for a year and a half it might be the only solution that will give you a real break. You'll have no problem selling the chicks, I'd bet.

Kind of weird comparison but I had a mini lop, registered and pedigree, gorgeous sweet baby bred from parents that also made good house buns. At exactly six months old she went from a sweet, litter trained, slept with the kids on the couch baby to an aggressive, ankle biting, pulling out her fur and nest making monster! For two months my breeder friend gave me every trick and behavior modification idea she had. Nothing helped long term.

Finally we just bred her, she came home pregnant and content. She had TEN babies! Best momma ever and was never like that again. She only ever had the one litter and passed away at seven years old but it's like once she got it out of her system she was okay.

Not you again with that broody hen. ;)

Just kidding, have you tried the sitting her in water idea?
I tried it but it didn't work on mine when she went broody, but others have and it worked.
I know what you mean about the dog crate again, I did it with one of mine then a week later another one went broody and out it came again.

Hahaha... every freakin other month lol... She's killin me.

No, I've not tried the water bc the crate works, it's just a pain in the behind lol

I really think if this has been going on bi-monthly for a year and a half it might be the only solution that will give you a real break. You'll have no problem selling the chicks, I'd bet.

Kind of weird comparison but I had a mini lop, registered and pedigree, gorgeous sweet baby bred from parents that also made good house buns. At exactly six months old she went from a sweet, litter trained, slept with the kids on the couch baby to an aggressive, ankle biting, pulling out her fur and nest making monster! For two months my breeder friend gave me every trick and behavior modification idea she had. Nothing helped long term.

Finally we just bred her, she came home pregnant and content. She had TEN babies! Best momma ever and was never like that again. She only ever had the one litter and passed away at seven years old but it's like once she got it out of her system she was okay.

Oh wow!!!

Yeah I'm about ready to look into letting her hatch a few... as long as I can give them away lol

Oh wow!!!

Yeah I'm about ready to look into letting her hatch a few... as long as I can give them away lol
Maybe give her one or two eggs so that they'll hatch for her, and then give her some sexed pullet chicks when the others hatch? That way, you don't have to deal with [edt: many] cockerels?

Breaking a broody may be made reliable by getting her to put on more weight. Feed items that are more palatable with higher nutrient density like you find with chick grower diets. With mine, I pop with shell corn once I know nutritional requirements met by consuming a complete ration. Goal for me is to get broody hen fat so she will come back into lay. Coming into lay is one of the switches that can break broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom