Brooding ducklings for first time…in living room

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I currently have 4 ducklings I hatched out living in a brooder in my living room that are 2 weeks old and I’ll be getting 4 more middle/end of this week from a hatchery (I hatched too many boys and need more girls). I’ve already upsized their enclosure 2 times. They’re in a 4’x4’ box right now which I thought would lessen how frequently I’d have to clean it but nope, still starts to stink after 2 days. Lining the box with plastic, using paint troughs to catch messes, and feeders/waterers with holes lessen the mess but it’s harder to keep things clean than chickens because of their size and the wetness of their poop. I have no idea how I’ll manage 8 of them in my living room much longer but I don’t have a garage to keep them in and our shed isn’t predator proof.

As I understand it, you can’t put them outside until they’re feathered but won’t they be full sized by then? They’re about the same size as my 8 week old chicks that are fully feathered and living outside now. Nights here are in the 40’s/50’s and days in the 60’s/70’s with the occasional colder and warmer temperatures. When can I bring these babies out to their house and run? They’ll all be Welsh Harlequins if it matters. They’re outgrowing their heat plate and I don’t feel comfortable putting a heat lamp in their duck house. How do you all manage brooding once they get really big?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 60
Unless you offer heat I sure wouldn't put them outside since they aren't feathered in. Yes they are stinky it's just part of keeping them. keep the brooder as clean as possible put pans or broiler pan under feeders and waterers.
Oh no, I wouldn’t do that! I was just curious what others do once they get really big and they’re living inside. I’m estimating it’ll be warm enough on week 5 or 6 but I’m concerned that a 4’x4’ box won’t be big enough for them by the time they reach that age.

When mine were getting big and it wasn't yet warm enough to put them out in the coop I made a brooder out of my down stairs bathroom lined the floor with puppy pee pads and kept them in there. Some use kiddy pools

When mine were getting big and it wasn't yet warm enough to put them out in the coop I made a brooder out of my down stairs bathroom lined the floor with puppy pee pads and kept them in there. Some use kiddy pools
I don’t think I have a spare bathroom but I do have a large kiddie pool. I might have to upgrade to that.

I start mine in a plastic bin, then move to a small wading pool, then a big wading pool. I wouldn't keep more than 6 though in a big wading pool, and that's with them spending a few hours outside during the day in a predator proof house. They also get frequent swims in the bathtub for exercise. Your two groups will likely not even be able to be combined for some time since the larger ones can trample the little ones and also they will likely be afraid of each other. I'm dealing with that right now with two sets two weeks apart. As for cleaning, I do it several times a day since my girls are in my kitchen and also I hate for them to walk and sit in their own poop and want to keep things dry as possible. It's just part of the messy job of ducklings. Things get harder the bigger they get due to more poop and also feathers and down will get everywhere. Do you have a plan for predator proof housing once they're old enough?

I put all my ducklings or chicks that I brood outside from day 1, with a heat source. They have all done fantastic, and been so much happier and more active then when I keep them indoors for the first eight weeks! Here are a few pictures of my set up. At night I lock them in that indoor area and close the lid, and then during the day they get to roam around and explore the 120 square foot run.

550C9E53-9181-47E7-8CB3-0D8A8DB56F4E.jpeg

I put all my ducklings or chicks that I brood outside from day 1, with a heat source. They have all done fantastic, and been so much happier and more active then when I keep them indoors for the first eight weeks! Here are a few pictures of my set up. At night I lock them in that indoor area and close the lid, and then during the day they get to roam around and explore the 120 square foot run.

View attachment 3472088
I agree with this. Brooding outdoors for both ducklings and chicks I have seen improvement in activity, acclimation and overall hardiness compared to indoor brooded ones. I love my brooder room out in the barn and it makes my life easier…well usually easier… this year I have been brooding indoors for over a week because the feral kitty that showed up a couple months ago decided to have her kittens in my brooder room. I left them in there because it is probably the safest place from my chickens😅 Thankfully my husband should be finishing up my converted lean-to on the other side so I can finish brooding in there next week.

Back
Top Bottom