Broody hen is very patient with late development hatch. Should I wait this out?

The last two eggs didn't make it either. She collected newer eggs and is still broody on those that were collected. This girl has been brooding since June 17th. I keep water and food in front of her at all times. There are 6 newer eggs now under her. She hasn't left the nest for about 5 days now. I'm waiting for her to stretch her legs so that I can candle these eggs to figure out where we are in the process.

Good luck! Poor girl, some are so determined! Hope you get some good spider veins going on when you get the chance to check.

A lot of people might advise you to break her from her broodiness as long stretches of brooding can put a lot of strain on a hens body, but I recently let a hen sit late on a clutch as she was determined and it's worked out fine. I did as you did and made sure food and water was available all the time.

Hope you get some lovely little fluff butts soon 😊🐣 x

The last two eggs didn't make it either. She collected newer eggs and is still broody on those that were collected. This girl has been brooding since June 17th. I keep water and food in front of her at all times. There are 6 newer eggs now under her. She hasn't left the nest for about 5 days now. I'm waiting for her to stretch her legs so that I can candle these eggs to figure out where we are in the process.
Hopefully your hen will come out of this healthy. Sounds like you are asking her to sit a nest for like 60 days or more. That is so unhealthy for your hen, not sure where you are but with the heat, we have been having here in USA it could be a death sentence for a hen. As mentioned, I would reconsider letting her sit this clutch and break her from being broody.

Hopefully your hen will come out of this healthy. Sounds like you are asking her to sit a nest for like 60 days or more. That is so unhealthy for your hen, not sure where you are but with the heat, we have been having here in USA it could be a death sentence for a hen. As mentioned, I would reconsider letting her sit this clutch and break her from being broody.
I agree. How do I break her from this? The most important thing is that she's healthy.

I agree. How do I break her from this? The most important thing is that she's healthy.
Frequently removing her from the nesting area if possible, you have to be watching her frequently and this isn't always possible if people work etc. I don't know your circumstances.

Removing all eggs as they get laid so she can't gather them up to brood.

Put cool packs on the floors of the nesting areas (cooling the underside of the hen calms their hormones). Some people dunk their chickens in cooler water (be sure this isn't too cold and she is thoroughly dried afterwards so she doesnt chill).

Broody Jail is the last step and this to put her in a crate with a metal mesh bottom so she can't get brooding on the mesh. This is my least favourite but sometimes its the only way and its a bit mean but for the greater kindness to her long term.

Broody Jail is the last step and this to put her in a crate with a metal mesh bottom so she can't get brooding on the mesh. This is my least favourite but sometimes its the only way and its a bit mean but for the greater kindness to her long term.
This is the only way I've used, why screw around...get 'er done.
I don't see it as being mean, and quicker than spending days harassing her off the nest repeatedly.
Most my broodies break within 2-3 days, but I get them in there quickly...as soon as I know they are broody.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

This is the only way I've used, why screw around...get 'er done.
I don't see it as being mean, and quicker than spending days harassing her off the nest repeatedly.
Most my broodies break within 2-3 days, but I get them in there quickly...as soon as I know they are broody.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/
No, it isn't mean, it just feels mean to put her in a crate by herself to calm her hormones. I am well aware it is the kind thing to do, but ask the hen that and they would disagree :D

Back
Top Bottom