Broody hen question

Percheron chick

Free Ranging
11 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Hudson, Colorado
I've got a cochin hen that has decided she would like to hatch some barn trash and gets quite distraught when I pick her up and put her in the coop at night. I've left her sitting on her "eggs" for the night and just going to leave her alone for now. How long does she need to sit before I can slip some chicks under her to raise? I have some hopefully coming in 1-2 weeks and might as well see if she'll raise them. That would only be 10-17 days of sitting.

I've got a cochin hen that has decided she would like to hatch some barn trash and gets quite distraught when I pick her up and put her in the coop at night. I've left her sitting on her "eggs" for the night and just going to leave her alone for now. How long does she need to sit before I can slip some chicks under her to raise? I have some hopefully coming in 1-2 weeks and might as well see if she'll raise them. That would only be 10-17 days of sitting.

I don't think chickens have any concept of time. She won't know if it's 10 days or 21. Maybe you could put some fake eggs under her to keep her broody until the chicks come in. Remove an egg as you put in a chick. This is best done at night.
The only drawback I see to the plan is that if the chicks are shipped they need to drink and eat immediately when they arrive. You might give them a day to recover before trying your plan. And make sure to be with her the next morning to see that she gets off the nest with them so they get food and water.

Back
Top Bottom