Broody hen

May 11, 2020
Somewhere in Missouri
Ello all!
Over the past few days, my 1-year-old polish's voice started to change. She started screaming at random moments and it was indeed quite startling. She plucked all of her breast feathers and just yesterday started to claim a nest box to herself. She has been sitting in that box all day, stealing other's eggs. What I don't get is, she is still laying her own eggs as well... I've read a few articles and they have all said that the birds stop laying! Well, that's just not the case with my girl! We don't even have a rooster and don't want to expand our flock. I've been getting her out and I just can't seem to break her case of the "broodies"! Does anyone have any suggestions on breaking her?

Ello all!
Over the past few days, my 1-year-old polish's voice started to change. She started screaming at random moments and it was indeed quite startling. She plucked all of her breast feathers and just yesterday started to claim a nest box to herself. She has been sitting in that box all day, stealing other's eggs. What I don't get is, she is still laying her own eggs as well... I've read a few articles and they have all said that the birds stop laying! Well, that's just not the case with my girl! We don't even have a rooster and don't want to expand our flock. I've been getting her out and I just can't seem to break her case of the "broodies"! Does anyone have any suggestions on breaking her?
Hi, I use the broody breaker cage method. Put hen in a cage with food and water but No bedding. Its best to elevate the cage if you can so there is airflow underneath to help cool her off. About 3 days and nights in the cage and she should be broken. . I have had a few lay eggs while broody in the cage too.

Back
Top Bottom