Broody mama has lice; 4d chicks do too. Now I’m wondering about all the other symptoms…

And then there's this picture with the white squigglies. Someone said that tapeworms, or maybe just round worms, could be seen as squiggles in the poop? Is this round worms? I've seen and clearly identified the flat tapeworm segments which the praziquantel would have been - hopefully - targeting. But are these round worms coming along for the ride? Attaching the segments-photo just for completeness.
Those look like tapeworm segments. Have you given praziquantel yet?

I use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE). I dust DE on the chickens perches and around the inside perimeter of the coop. DE has a suffocating affect on insects, DE also dries out the insects' exoskeleton which kills them. When I have chicks, with or without a hen, during the day they stay in the coops' "play pen". I have a tray in there which contains soft dirt and DE. They love to give themselves a dirt bath and scratch around. 20240623_111320.jpg 20240623_111355.jpg 20240623_111411.jpg

Before you use anything on or around your birds make sure the labeling on the product or medications states it is approved for poultry. Read all the dosage amounts, directions and warnings. Do not go off lable, it is dangerous for your Chickens and you.

Those look like tapeworm segments. Have you given praziquantel yet?
Yes, this was a couple days post-dosing. So I am presuming these amount to maybe dead ones coming out? Unless they're urates as someone was saying. I didn't poke around.

Everyone seems very perky and healthy. The one most-affected is still mopey and sometimes isolates herself, but maybe that's just behavioral. Sometimes she's with everyone and she moves around fine. Their appetite, all of them, is down except ... they also free-range and there is a ton of food to be had just free-form. They're out there now, foraging, all of them. I think everything's fine, I haven't seen more 100% diarrhea; I haven't seen more of those squiggles, I haven't seen more of the flat tape segments. I _think_ we're on the upswing. No one seems lethargic, well, except for the one who's more... "subdued".

But I was wondering if those squiggles were a worm, maybe a round worm or something that was zapped by the praziquantel. It's been a full week since praziquantel dosing around here. And the babies are out!

Attachments

• IMG_5997.jpg
    IMG_5997.jpg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 4
Yes, this was a couple days post-dosing. So I am presuming these amount to maybe dead ones coming out? Unless they're urates as someone was saying. I didn't poke around.

Everyone seems very perky and healthy. The one most-affected is still mopey and sometimes isolates herself, but maybe that's just behavioral. Sometimes she's with everyone and she moves around fine. Their appetite, all of them, is down except ... they also free-range and there is a ton of food to be had just free-form. They're out there now, foraging, all of them. I think everything's fine, I haven't seen more 100% diarrhea; I haven't seen more of those squiggles, I haven't seen more of the flat tape segments. I _think_ we're on the upswing. No one seems lethargic, well, except for the one who's more... "subdued".

But I was wondering if those squiggles were a worm, maybe a round worm or something that was zapped by the praziquantel. It's been a full week since praziquantel dosing around here. And the babies are out!
The one who is more "subdued," give her another dose of Equimax the 10th day after the initial dosing. Then give her plain boiled rice mixed with buttermilk to eat after worming. Make sure the rice has cooled.

Back
Top Bottom