Broody Weirdness

Wow. Ok. Thanks. I don't have a crate, I guess I'm getting one.
How do you know when she's broken? Mine are going in and out of broodiness with it only getting worse. Only one is laying eggs! I kick them out but didn't know about crating so they can't nest. Mine just nest in the sand if they have to. How do you crate multiple birds? One at a time?

Thanks. Now to deal with Dx lice/mites...one is losing feathers like crazy and none are laying eggs.

IF the birds get along (even with broody hormones making them crazy) and you have a larger crate (like I've done 2 hens in a 4x4 pen), you can crate multiple hens together.
I've had as many as three broodies together in my 3' x 6' brooder. They all broke. But like anything else I'd be nervous if they were packed in tight. It depends on the size of the pen.

Once they get broody and then they get over it, how long before they’ll start laying again? I was getting 5 eggs a day and then all but one out of the 5 got broody and now I’m only getting eggs from one!
Also, when you have them in chicken jail, how do you know if they’re over it or not. I’ve just been locking them out so they can’t get in their boxes and they’re happily running around but not laying. What other problems stop the laying?

Once they get broody and then they get over it, how long before they’ll start laying again?
A few weeks, generally. Some may resume sooner, some might skip the rest of the year if it's close enough to fall molt.
Also, when you have them in chicken jail, how do you know if they’re over it or not. I’ve just been locking them out so they can’t get in their boxes and they’re happily running around but not laying. What other problems stop the laying?
Leave the nest boxes open if you have them in chicken jail. You test if broodiness is broken by letting them out and seeing if they return to their nests. If they go into the nest, they're not broken, so back in jail they go for another 24 hours.

Once they get broody and then they get over it, how long before they’ll start laying again?
Before a hen starts laying she builds up excess fat. If you butcher pullets, hens, cockerels, and roosters you can clearly see the difference. That excess fat is what they mostly live off of while broody so they can take care of the eggs instead of needing to search for food and water. They need to replenish that fat before they start laying again.

Also when they stop laying they change internally. Part of their internal plumbing kind of temporarily dries up since it is not being used. They stop growing ova to become egg yolks. They have to reverse these processes before they start laying again.

Rosemarythyme has a good point. Depending in the time of the year they may shut down for a while, maybe a long while.

A couple of cases. I had a hen incubate and hatch chicks and raise them that started laying again 2-1/2 weeks after she hatched. She weaned them at 3 weeks. This was easy to know what was going on because she was my only green egg layer at the time.

I had a hen that molted in August and September while raising her chicks. She did not wean those until they were 2 months old. She had completed her molt and started laying about the time the rest of the flock molted. She continued laying all winter and through the next year until the regular fall molt.

How long before a broody hen starts laying again? It can vary a lot.

Back
Top Bottom