Bubba needs help

dkkirby

Songster
Aug 5, 2018
Atlanta
20190617_200931.jpg

Bubba had a black spot and the ruthless girls picked at it till they ripped a hole. We used peroxide and topical antibiotics. The hanging piece has form a scabbed tip. I read that it is ok to snip the hanging piece. It doesn't seem to be healing really fast. I fret infection. He is in quarantine. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 1818664
Bubba had a black spot and the ruthless girls picked at it till they ripped a hole. We used peroxide and topical antibiotics. The hanging piece has form a scabbed tip. I read that it is ok to snip the hanging piece. It doesn't seem to be healing really fast. I fret infection. He is in quarantine. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
Any way you can get a picture from the top?
I don't think I would snip anything just yet.
How long have you been treating that?

I stop using Peroxide. Triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn would be good to use.

upload_2019-6-19_13-33-5.png

Greetings dkkirby,

What a handsome fellow!

You have done well, for Bubba's injury. Since it has formed a scab, the healing has begun. There is no need to snip or trim any hanging flesh, as long as it's not interfering with his sight, breathing, or ability to eat. Anything not receiving a blood supply, will dry up and shrink, and then finally just flake off. You can spray it with some Vetericyn, as Wyorp Rock, suggested, for a few days, if you are worried about infection. That shouldn't happen, as long as the wound is not pecked at anymore and remains clean.

A flesh wound like Bubba's, can take about four to six weeks, to heal completely. If you want to put him back with the hens, you should spray the wound with some Blu-kote (messy stuff, blue colored). That way the hens won't be so interested, and Blu-Kote is also an antiseptic. That little black spot you mentioned, was probably a scab from being pecked by a hen, or another rooster if you have others.

Hopefully, Bubba is your only rooster. Otherwise, you will have to keep him with the other roosters, or he'll be put out of the flock.

My rooster had a horrific piece of flesh ripped open, on his wattles, by another rooster. I flushed it with some saline solution to get the dirt off, dabbed it dry with some gauze, then, sprayed it with some Vetericyn. It took about 5 weeks to completely heal. Now, he has a little ruffle on that spot. It's his battle scar. :D

These are my thoughts on Bubba's wound. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings dkkirby,

What a handsome fellow!

You have done well, for Bubba's injury. Since it has formed a scab, the healing has begun. There is no need to snip or trim any hanging flesh, as long as it's not interfering with his sight, breathing, or ability to eat. Anything not receiving a blood supply, will dry up and shrink, and then finally just flake off. You can spray it with some Vetericyn, as Wyorp Rock, suggested, for a few days, if you are worried about infection. That shouldn't happen, as long as the wound is not pecked at anymore and remains clean.

A flesh wound like Bubba's, can take about four to six weeks, to heal completely. If you want to put him back with the hens, you should spray the wound with some Blu-kote (messy stuff, blue colored). That way the hens won't be so interested, and Blu-Kote is also an antiseptic. That little black spot you mentioned, was probably a scab from being pecked by a hen, or another rooster if you have others.

Hopefully, Bubba is your only rooster. Otherwise, you will have to keep him with the other roosters, or he'll be put out of the flock.

My rooster had a horrific piece of flesh ripped open, on his wattles, by another rooster. I flushed it with some saline solution to get the dirt off, dabbed it dry with some gauze, then, sprayed it with some Vetericyn. It took about 5 weeks to completely heal. Now, he has a little ruffle on that spot. It's his battle scar. :D

Greetings dkkirby,

What a handsome fellow!

No other roos! Thank you. Here is a video
Watch "Bubba's injury" on YouTube

Definitely use vetricine, my roo got a piece of his comb torn, and while it took a month or so to heal, it recovered well although the end of his comb has a funny shape.

Yes, the ear lobe is torn. That is very similar to my rooster's wattle injury. This type of wound looks very bad the first day.

Keep it clean, and dry. Spray with Vetericyn for a few days. The scab must stay intact. Chicken combs, wattles and ear lobes are highly vascular. They will bleed easily. I wouldn't cut that tissue, as, it will bleed a lot. A chicken can only lose so much blood, before it adversely affects them.

As the wound heals, it will tighten around the edges. The ear lobe will look different after all healing is complete. The open tissue will be filled in by a process called granulation. New skin cells will form. It is an amazing process!

I wouldn't use a greasy ointment, but, instead a spray that dries quickly, like Vetericyn, or Banixx. Blu-kote spray is good after a scab is formed. These products can be purchased at farm/feed stores, or pet stores. Colloidal Silver drops is another good treatment.

Always be vigilant for infection, that shouldn't happen if a scab forms, and the wound is kept clean and dry. Be aware that flies can cause fly strike, so spray multiple times daily. Especially if it is hot and humid where you live.
vetericyn spray.jpg
blu-kote.jpg
colloidal silver.jpg
Banixx.jpg

No other roos! Thank you. Here is a video
Watch "Bubba's injury" on YouTube
Thank you for the video.
I wouldn't do any cutting. Spray it with Vetericyn, keep him separated until it heals, the other will pick at that.
I would monitor it for signs of infection - swelling, redness, heat, foul odor.

Hopefully it will heal just fine.

Yes, the ear lobe is torn. That is very similar to my rooster's wattle injury. This type of wound looks very bad the first day.

Keep it clean, and dry. Spray with Vetericyn for a few days. The scab must stay intact. Chicken combs, wattles and ear lobes are highly vascular. They will bleed easily. I wouldn't cut that tissue, as, it will bleed a lot. A chicken can only lose so much blood, before it adversely affects them.

As the wound heals, it will tighten around the edges. The ear lobe will look different after all healing is complete. The open tissue will be filled in by a process called granulation. New skin cells will form. It is an amazing process!

I wouldn't use a greasy ointment, but, instead a spray that dries quickly, like Vetericyn, or Banixx. Blu-kote spray is good after a scab is formed. These products can be purchased at farm/feed stores, or pet stores. Colloidal Silver drops is another good treatment.

Always be vigilant for infection, that shouldn't happen if a scab forms, and the wound is kept clean and dry. Be aware that flies can cause fly strike, so spray multiple times daily. Especially if it is hot and humid where you live.
View attachment 1819315 View attachment 1819317 View attachment 1819314 View attachment 1819320
I just ordered some vetromycin plus. I'm having a hard time grasping this due to my mind wrapped around my brother's 2 1/2 week old pancreatic cancer diagnosis. His name is Larry. His wife is Jen. His 8yr old daughter Emily. Please say many prayers. Thank you for all your help. I will try n wrap my head around this again tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom