Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Roo

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

cassbickford

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2013
I have a flock of 12 seven week old pullets(?). One of my BO's who is one of the largest in the flock always hangs by herself. She will randomly charge another, bump chests for a minute and then go back to hanging out by herself. I know that she is not ill as she has always acted like this. She was also the chick who was probably handled the most as a little fluff ball. I am trying to figure out if she is at the bottom of the flock or on the top. Usually the others will back down to her. She also has a huge fluffy back, way more so than any others and especially more so than the the BO. Maybe she is a rooster, I just can't figure it all out! When all the others run up to me for treats, she usually will just ignore me and continue doing what she was doing. Very rarely is she motivated by treats. She also loves it when we take her out of the pen and let her roam around whereas all the others will immediately run back to the side of the pen to try to get back in. Any thoughts would be very appreciated!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
D.gif

I wouldn't be so sure it's a cockerel. My BOs look pretty similar at the same age. My BOs I am fairly confident are hens and my cockerel and 1 of the BO seemed to have a week or 2 where they were working out some "I am the boss" type business. Could possibly just be some pecking order sorting.

We raise Buff Orpington's and from what I see, it could still be a girl. Nothing Definite yet. You may have to give it a little more time to know for sure. Looks like it's going to be really a Big Bird either way!!! Good Luck!!

I want to add chickens to our flock. We have 5 leghorns, so egg production doesn't matter. We would like not so nervous chickens. Are Buffs really friendly?

Back
Top Bottom