Buff Orpington Roo or Hen @ 18 weeks?

Akir90

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Hello, I am new to chicken farming, and this site. I created another thread at new users, though I was told I would have much better luck here getting an opinion. Anyways, I have a Buff Orpington that is at 18 weeks that I fear is a rooster, it hasn't displayed any known signs of being one yet. Though, it's brother from the same run turned out to be a rooster that began crowing last week. They also look different, mine has long tail feathers, and the rooster doesn't that my father in law kept.. here is a couple of photos thanks for any help

!

I'm going to go with rooster, however I had a hen that developed large red comb and wattle and was a female. Could you possibly get a better picture of the back of the bird to see if there are saddle feathers?

welcome-byc.gif

That is a rooster. The signs are...

the larger comb and wattles, Orpington hens usually have smallish combs.
Even if a hen did have a comb that size, hens don't have those pretty, darker feathers hanging down in front of the tail. Those are saddle feathers, and the fact they're darker and long and pointy is a male thing.
The darker shading of color on the wings is another male sign. Hens are a more even shade of gold, maybe with some darker shading around the collar. Darker wings is male.

here is a pic from the back, thanks for all the comments guys..now I'm stuck with what to do with it haha

Back
Top Bottom