*Buff Orpington Thread!*

We just got silkies too, since this other store apparently doesn't wash the poor babies if they get pasty butt.....so we brought them home lol. So I figure between BOs and Silkies, we ought to have a friendly coop lol.

Chicks can be sexed from the age of 2 - 3 weeks depending on breed, or they can be vent/wing sexed from birth. At 3 weeks, the females will start growing a tail before the males. She will also have more feathers while as the cockerels may have bare backs or crops (in some breeds, including orpingtons). If you look at their comb and wattles, you will notice that the males have pink or red starting to show whereas females combs will be pale. Cockerels have thicker legs, though this is not reliable.
m
Hey my girls just started getting their tail feathers at 6 days is that natural or would they be older than 6 days I actually don't know how old the are so i estimated

m
Hey my girls just started getting their tail feathers at 6 days is that natural or would they be older than 6 days I actually don't know how old the are so i estimated
That's natural for all chicks to get a bit more shape there but by 3 weeks you will really see the difference in tails; the boys will have a 'tail' that looks really short or bald. The females will have a longer tuft of feathers sticking up. Hope this helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom