*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Have a question about our oldest buff (hatch ~March/early April 2016; not sure as she's one of three gotten at poultry show in Nov).
She's laying about 2-3x a week, was laying more like every other day before moving to barn; it's colder out there but laying isn't my question.
This morning checking waterers (there's were totally frozen over so I pulled them all inside to defrost and refill), she's laying like normal but when she got up to get scratch and bounce around like normal, she kind of hobbled-not stretching her full legs out.
I got her and checked, she stretched just fine. So I put her back down and she just hobbled again. She's stomps when she's moving loud enough you can hear her outside the barn.
What could this be? Is it just cause it decided to be winter again after 40-60 degrees? It's in the 20-30s and very cold in barn. She started molting in Feb cause we moved them to the barn then but she's done for now; not seeing any new feathers or old ones falling.
Sorry for rambling, just giving back story and possibly these other things could be causing the limping?
Thanks for helping.

Have a question about our oldest buff (hatch ~March/early April 2016; not sure as she's one of three gotten at poultry show in Nov).
She's laying about 2-3x a week, was laying more like every other day before moving to barn; it's colder out there but laying isn't my question.
This morning checking waterers (there's were totally frozen over so I pulled them all inside to defrost and refill), she's laying like normal but when she got up to get scratch and bounce around like normal, she kind of hobbled-not stretching her full legs out.
I got her and checked, she stretched just fine. So I put her back down and she just hobbled again. She's stomps when she's moving loud enough you can hear her outside the barn.
What could this be? Is it just cause it decided to be winter again after 40-60 degrees? It's in the 20-30s and very cold in barn. She started molting in Feb cause we moved them to the barn then but she's done for now; not seeing any new feathers or old ones falling.
Sorry for rambling, just giving back story and possibly these other things could be causing the limping?
Thanks for helping.

Have you checked the bottom of her feet for any signs of wound, discoloration, scabs, cuts or possibly debris stuck in the crevices?

Watch to see if she is drinking well and eating. There can be many causes of hobbling so observing her would be good. Watch to see if she has any lethargy or hunched up appearance as well. If she doesn't improve or declines, then separate her out and provide supportive care - vitamins in the water, keep her fairly warm, see that she is pooping, etc.

Have you checked the bottom of her feet for any signs of wound, discoloration, scabs, cuts or possibly debris stuck in the crevices?

Watch to see if she is drinking well and eating.  There can be many causes of hobbling so observing her would be good.  Watch to see if she has any lethargy or hunched up appearance as well.  If she doesn't improve or declines, then separate her out and provide supportive care - vitamins in the water, keep her fairly warm, see that she is pooping, etc.
no sign of fever, discoloration, scabs. Eating and kind of scratching, drinking fine. Hunched over and hobbling/ limping. Kids say she was standing normal last night. Pooping fine.
What vitamin in water? We separated her this morning just in case and precaution for her safety.

no sign of fever, discoloration, scabs. Eating and kind of scratching, drinking fine. Hunched over and hobbling/ limping. Kids say she was standing normal last night. Pooping fine.
What vitamin in water? We separated her this morning just in case and precaution for her safety.
Is she hunched up?

Separating her is a good idea. If it's a sprain or injury, this will allow her time to heal and not feel like she has to "keep up" which can cause further injury. I find that a wire dog kennel set up in the run works well. This keeps the injured bird near the flock and reduces stress. It's also make it's easy to monitor them.

As @FeatherMtnFarms mentioned you can use Sav-A-Chick vitamins/electrolytes or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell. These can usually be found at your local feed store or Tractor Supply. I prefer Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Let us know how she is doing.

Last edited:
Is she hunched up?

Separating her is a good idea.  If it's a sprain or injury, this will allow her time to heal and not feel like she has to "keep up" which can cause further injury.  I find that a wire dog kennel set up in the run works well. This keeps the injured bird near the flock and reduces stress. It's also make it's easy to monitor them. 

As @FeatherMtnFarms
mentioned you can use Sav-A-Chick vitamins/electrolytes or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell.  These can usually be found at your local feed store or Tractor Supply.  I prefer Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Let us know how she is doing.
Came home and checked on her again. Still laying around or limping, not even bouncy when I shook treat at her cage. Her left leg is swollen and warm. I took off her leg band as it seemed tight. I'll check on her in the morning and update
Thank you for your kind words and guidance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom