*Buff Orpington Thread!*

After reading galanie's response and a few other posts on different forums. It seems that basically if I add new members to the existing flock, they will likely wind up being "their own 2nd flock". Since I only have 2 BO's, which I'm pretty sure consists of a cockerel and a pullet, that concerned me. Which is y I decided to try an experiment. I had 5 "mutts" in a brooder inside who will be 4 weeks old Saturday. I added them to the enclosed run with my 2 BO's and they r all getting along GREAT!! I think I'm going to keep them all in "the cage" together for awhile, then introduce them at the same time. With hopes they will all flock together if needed, making a flock of 7 instead of 2. Fingers crossed!!
Yes, that is sort of what they will do. But how lucky they are compared to single babies! I've seen both single young ones and those with hatch mates get along with the rest of the flock. At least your two have each other for buddies. Glad though that they seem to be getting along good. Sometimes you just can't know till you know.

Say, my smallest BO, Lily, seems to have some swelling around her left eye. Is it likely just a chicken shiner, nothing to worry overly about? I've included profile views from both sides for comparison.

Left side. looks puffy, like she's been pulling all nighters.

Right side - no swelling.

A couple of face on views to give an idea of how much (or little) swelling there is.

She's always been the smallest of the 6 BOs, very independent, marches to her own drummer - so of course she's my daughter's favorite. :)

Again, should I be worried about this?

Last edited:
Say, my smallest BO, Lily, seems to have some swelling around her left eye. Is it likely just a chicken shiner, nothing to worry overly about? I've included profile views from both sides for comparison. Left side. looks puffy, like she's been pulling all nighters. Right side - no swelling. A couple of face on views to give an idea of how much (or little) swelling there is. She's always been the smallest of the 6 BOs, very independent, marches to her own drummer - so of course she's my daughter's favorite. :) Again, should I be worried about this?
It might be a sinus infection sort of thing, but I'm not sure. I'll be following to see what others say.

Sorry but I can't help on the Lily question. Its seems like I read something some where along the line but can't remember. I have a hen that was attacked through the fence by what I suspect was either a raccoon or opossum and she still has "swelling" around the eye that was injured (it has been several months so I think this is as good as it gets for her).

Here's a few updated pics of my buff pullets. They are doing really well. This is either 3 different ones or maybe 2 can't tell.

Tractor supply had Diatomacheous Earth (DE) last time I visited - DE which is mostly "ashe" according to the ingredients but is good for lots of pesky tiny insect issues from worms to mites and ticks apparently. I've also sometimes sprinkled a little borax powder around their perimiter area to ward off fleas, ticks and other insects.

The easiest dewormer you can get this time of year is pumpkins (just bust it in half and toss it into their area). The seeds are great dewormers and they love the flesh for food as well. To top it off it is most likely organic, healthy inexpensive chicken food too.

As far as complicated vitamins and minerals - I usually just add some molasses to their feed - just feed them a few shredded carrots, couple of sliced/diced apples/tomatoes and pour a little molasses on it maybe throw in a few scrambled eggs with that and stir it up - they go nuts and look healthier. I've also been known to get simple bird feed (seeds) and toss in a scoop of that.

They also love day old spaghetti/pasta leftovers and canteloupes.

What is TSC? I looked for the goat wormer at the local feed store and they don't carry it :( No I haven't dusted them yet and was about to get some DE on Friday. What is Permethrin dust? Will it harm them or me if inhaled like the DE does? Sorry for my ignorance
Permethrin dust will not harm you, or the birds. You can also get Permethrin 10% liquid concentrate from a garden center.The goat wormer is available from Jeffers Vet supply also.

Back
Top Bottom