*Buff Orpington Thread!*

My thought exactly - and I recalled the original thread.

Apparently we're supposed to be looking at black spots on the comb. If I open the last photo in a new window and zoom in, I can sort of see some darkness, but not really distinctly.

But like you, I'm no expert.

Had a hard time getting good shots. He has some black spots on his comb. Otherwise is fine. Sorry thought I attached original quotes.

My thought exactly - and I recalled the original thread.

Apparently we're supposed to be looking at black spots on the comb. If I open the last photo in a new window and zoom in, I can sort of see some darkness, but not really distinctly.

But like you, I'm no expert.
Okay I went and viewed it larger. I see something but the picture was hazy since it was so large when expanded. Wet and dry pox both effect the combs. I would suggest the owner go to emergencies and diseases thread and ask for help.

My hens that have the largest combs have black spots like scabs and then the scabs fall off and the combs have white areas. This happens on and off but only on the ones with really large combs. In observing their behavior, they peck at each other especially when I put scratch out or put treats out and they peck at the combs so the ones with bigger combs are bigger targets. I never thought of any kind of pox simply because of watching this pecking behavior but I'm no expert either by any stretch of the imagination. We raised White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds for meat and eggs and I used to see that on those chickens also but there wasn't any pox.

My hens that have the largest combs have black spots like scabs and then the scabs fall off and the combs have white areas. This happens on and off but only on the ones with really large combs. In observing their behavior, they peck at each other especially when I put scratch out or put treats out and they peck at the combs so the ones with bigger combs are bigger targets. I never thought of any kind of pox simply because of watching this pecking behavior but I'm no expert either by any stretch of the imagination. We raised White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds for meat and eggs and I used to see that on those chickens also but there wasn't any pox.
If this fas just happened in the last 2 months, or so I would suspect it is Pox.

This has been happening ever since the hens started developing combs and establishing a pecking order. Henry got his comb caught in some wires in between the house and garage and he had large scabs with bleeiding but it cleared up relatively fast and he has had no more scabs on his comb.

I went out this morning and no egg yet. A couple of the nest boxes looked like there had been a chicken making a nest in it. I come home from work low and behold! My first egg from one of my buffs! Sorry had to show everyone what my buffs did! My very first egg!

Back
Top Bottom